Rays and arrows

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Any of you guys keep rays and arrows but also use a tanning light for the arrow? If so does it change the apperance of your rays at all?
I am curiuos as i want to get an Asian but i am reading alot of conflicting info about tanning. I would ideally like a red arrow but not sure how well they reach their full potential with out tanning them.

Any help appreciated. Thanks

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
If your worried about tanning lights, then don't tan a red aro will still look great without putting it thru tanning regimen. Or look into a nice XB

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Appreciate what you are saying. Are there good looking XB around?
I'm not sure what your availability is in the UK for XB. But a red will still look awesome without tanning over a carpet of nice black rays. Do you ever visit www.arowanaclub.ca
There are some real nice collections of aros and rays together on that site

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I have a 20" RTG in with a ray group and it always looks good under T5 lighting. I was told they are the best bang for your buck and less prone to the ailments that always deterred me from getting one ages ago. Reason why I never wanted to buy an asian aro in the past was drop eye,protruding low jaw,tanning and white tanks to bring out the best. I grew mine out from 5" to the size now and doesn't have or need anything as mentioned above. The only downside is he is pretty aggressive and sometimes goes on a tangent of chasing the vittatus or even nudges the rays to seemingly show them who's boss.

I am always scared he will eat a pup but I successfully had 2 in his presence so until the day he eats one I guess he can stay for now.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks for the feed back. What hirght is your tank please?
I have a 20" RTG in with a ray group and it always looks good under T5 lighting. I was told they are the best bang for your buck and less prone to the ailments that always deterred me from getting one ages ago. Reason why I never wanted to buy an asian aro in the past was drop eye,protruding low jaw,tanning and white tanks to bring out the best. I grew mine out from 5" to the size now and doesn't have or need anything as mentioned above. The only downside is he is pretty aggressive and sometimes goes on a tangent of chasing the vittatus or even nudges the rays to seemingly show them who's boss.

I am always scared he will eat a pup but I successfully had 2 in his presence so until the day he eats one I guess he can stay for now.

Northweststingrays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2013
Fleetwood
Hello jim I've got 40 Asian arowana coming in 1-2 weeks superb quality if your interested??
Banjar
super high backs
24k cross back
and the best super reds I've ever seen...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store