Slime Coat Problem

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Hey all
One of my fish has greyish patches on it. It's not a white fuzzy fungus like I've seen before. After some research it seems like it's probably a slime coat illness.
I don't have the water params right now unfortunately since I'm at work, but I'll try to get them this evening. They are typically ph 7.2, kh 5, gh5. I'll double check these and get the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate levels.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
What kind of fish is it? My irwini had slime coat issues. It was grossly overproducing slime coat, but every time he moved the slime would peel off and float through the water. He had his slime coat issue because he was just introduced into my tank after a long move. I just kept the water clean and it went away shortly after. Any changes in your tank lately? I'm sure if you need a diagnosis, that it would be helpful to upload a picture on here when you can.

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Thanks.
It is a snakehead. It's not shedding its slime coat as some cats do, it looks more like when a pleco sucks on a bichirs slime coat and it gets the white patches. I can try to get a pic when I get home, but it's in hiding and difficult to do. There have been no changes to the tank. The only tankmate is a female snakehead. At first I thought that it was from fighting, but the male is the dominant of the two and I haven't witnessed any fighting lately.

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Any idea what this is?

DSC_3390.JPG

DSC_3391.JPG

DSC_3399.JPG

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate >10. I've been doing daily 20% WCs and adding Pima/Melafix.

Is this even a slime coat problem or something different?

DSC_3390.JPG

DSC_3391.JPG

DSC_3399.JPG

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
If those clear patches is what you mean, and they appeared now, it looks more like a fungus than a slime coat issue...

Is its behaviour normal, otherwise?

No changes after the pima mela?

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Thanks, Miguel.
Behavior seems normal. Its swimming ability seems the same as before.
It doesn't have the fuzziness that I would associate with other fungus that I've seen; just the weird discoloration.
I've only been doing the pima/mela for two days. I didn't want to treat the fish without knowing what it was, so I went with pima/mela which are soft meds.

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I think im having the same issue. Most would say its fungus, but ive been doing a lot of research and all the fugus symtopms are, cotton like, stands away, redness around the fungus and within a couple days turns into ulcers. A couple of my fish have it and have had it sinse thursday. To this day, it still looks the same, no redness or no ulcers, doesnt look like cotton. Etc. I upped the temp, salt, and water changes. No change. And I was planning on getting me some pimafix, but seems like it hasnt worked for you??

No clue with it is.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
Do you have a photo?
Yes, it's weird that he seems unaffected aside from the discoloration, with no other symptoms. It's only been a few days with the mela/pima, so hopefully I'll see a change soon.

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
I tried taking pics but it dosnt show up. Of ot was cotton like fungus im sure I could get a pic.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store