need some extra brain power

flyboy367

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
sayreville, nj
Recently bought a 100 year old house. I'm removing the radiator heating system for a greener mini split setup.

I'm building a pond for my living room (the floor is all heavy timbers) originally I was aiming at a 3' x 3' and 2' deep setup with pond liner and having it raised with the filter underneath (fluval fx6) and a plywood topper so the turtles can climb out.

In rechecking the living room (still waiting on thier bank for my closing date) I decided that it will interfere with the window. So I made up 2 frames at 2'4 x 4' as a reference. I like the size as a width rather than length. I'm trying to decided to make the length 4' or 5' (some area will have a dock and basking section) and I'm sure the fluval can handle it (does more than enough in the current 150 gallon tank and rated to 400 gallons) but my main issue is having a spot for the filter. The holes in the floor when I remove the radiator will be plenty for the hose so I was thinking put a shelf in the basement and run the lines up. But how far will the tubing be effective?

My other thought is if it's enough to run filtration perhaps I'll need a showerhead or secondary pump to have more circulation. I'm just not in a spot where I can dump a few hundred on a full pond filter.

Also the pond liner I ordered is 15x15 my heads a bit runny from doing math all day at work to make sure that's enough or I have read posts from people who have used dry lok. I can cancel my liner order since I know dry lok is cheaper but for long term how does it hold up? I'm hoping well since I'm using it on my 3d backgrounds in my fish tanks but a 11" and 8" red ear slider is a bit more battering then cichlids.
Thanks in advance for replies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store