Planting my tank

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
I need some ideas or some examples of ways I could begin planting my 125 gallon freshwater :)
i will have 2 plecos and some cichlids in it.

I really would like like some not to crazy high maintenance but something that is eye catching. Some driftwood. I see some people that can make tree looking things that would be awesome! Some taller plants too. I know I'm going to have to have some hiding places and also a cave for the plecos so let's hear some ideas/see examples please

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I did very well with Jungle Val's for a little while. For a few months, they grew, spread, fish didn't mess em up. Then they started melting. I'm fertilizing now to see if they'll come back. Jungle Val's and Anubias--cichlids won't touch em. Search the Internet for pleco caves. As for driftwood, I go to the LFS for that--I have to see it in person to see how it looks, will it fit in my tank, etc.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
+1 for plants that adhere to substrate and structures such as anubias and java fern. IMO some big (1'-2') anubias barteri would look awesome in a tank that size. Plants that don't mind being uprooted would be okay too such as water sprite and temple plants.

But if your cichlids don't dig then you have a lot of options! So which cichlids are they? My mayan won't let anything take root, but of course my kribs, angels, and discus don't mess with the plants at all.

Anubias and java fern are pretty bulletproof, but some info on your lighting will help guide you towards success with other species.

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Yeah my cichlids dog sometimes :/ haha they even like moving my fake plants I have. But I added a sword and they haven't touched it in a week, so far so good. I think it's,basically my jewels that do it but I never witness it.

if I wanted a plant that big I think I would have to order it online my LFS doesn't have plants even close to that size.

i just have fluorescent lighting.

i also did search pleco caves online but I don't really like the look of those. I think I'll look for something different.

Pbaff

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
SW Missouri
I would suggest anubis for a foreground plant and then bacopa monnieri in the mid with jungle val in the background. All three work well with low light and can take abuse from the fish. The bacopa will need plant weights to stay down though. I've had good luck with all of them around my Jack Dempsey.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Well I'd definitely look into java fern and anubias for your lighting then. You can buy smaller barteri specimens at most LFS but anubias only grow a new leaf every couple of weeks, so it will take a while. Occasionally you will find a mother colony available from the wholesalers.

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
What about the salt I use every WC? I've seen a lot of people say not to use it when u have plants, but I know it's good for the fish

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Also while I'm at it my stock is.

rainbow shark
blood parrot
2 discus
bichir
clown loach
Pakistani loach
2 red jewels

i will be adding a pleco soon

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
How much salt? Keep it 2ppt or under and the 2 types of plants I listed should be fine. I assume you're below that level if your sword is doing okay though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store