one eyed jardini

yoco

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2011
england
hi all can you help with this ,I have been keeping my eye on this jardini for over a year now it only has one eye due to a fight when a youngster.ITs about 12 inch and has not grown any more in that time,do you think I can assume it is stunted this not a problem as it is still a lovely fish and still eating well thanks for looking :irked:

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
What sized tank is he in ? Tankmates ? What's your wc schedule per week and water quality like ? if its not grown in all that time it probably is stunted but its not to say it won't grow some more with a tank upgrade and better water conditions

yoco

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2011
england
my tank is a 72*20*20 inch I have had to down grade because of illness this one of the smallest I have had and I have been keeping trops for 37 years ,so my water is bob on.I change my water every week I just thougth if the fish is stunted it might be ok. As I have kept one before so know how big they get,and would like to give this one a home if he is stunted

yoco

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2011
england
sorry the tank he is in is a 66*24*24 inch with a few large barb he has been in this tank all the time at the shop there water change are 3 time weekly .If I get him he will be with large dollars and clown loaches

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I'm guessing its stunted if its in a tank that size with that many wc's , I grew a jardini in a 5x2x2 for six years that got to 23" no problem apart from aggression towards tankmates 50% wcs weekly (I could have got lucky I suppose ) , it might have internal problems due to the fact its not growing in the space its got , if you do get it may be worth treating for internal parasites , what diet has it been getting ? This also plays a massive part

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

yoco

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2011
england
cheers danny from what they told me they feed him frozen blood worm once a week and floating sticks every day.It does look like the fish is stunted I will have to think hard about getting it,I don't want to cramp it if its not thank for your help

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I think if your buying an aro it needs to be in as perfect health as can be to avoid you taking on problems in the future , don't get me wrong people take on rescue fish all the time but for free usually , how much are they asking out of interest ? If you can find a jardini that's fit and healthy I'd go down that road so your aro keeping becomes a pleasure , good luck keep us posted :)

yoco

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2011
england
they were asking about 6 month ago 90£ I just asked out of interest today and I can have it for 30£ so will see cheers

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Not too bad I suppose , for reference the last one I bought was £60 at 4/5" and there's one in my LFS at the min about 10" for £100
They've gone up in price loads over the last few years mostly due to shipping costs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store