Bottom drain help please

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Does anyone know how to calculate flow on a setup like this? I assume the flow won't be that great. I am planning on two drains and want to make sure it is enough. If you want to do it for me, 2" pipe, apx 14 linear feet and a 3 ft rise in pipe to water level.
Picture stolen from Egon.
View attachment 1019478
I had this in the filtration forum, but got no responses.
Thanks

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Are you trying to match the flow rate of a certain pump or are you trying to pick a pump based on the maximum drain rate?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Trying to see how many drains I need. I want to move 4000 GPH.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Well according to this table you should be okay. Your drains should handle approximately 5000 GPH together. Maybe check it against another source to be sure though.

I also like to put ball valves on pumps to throttle them back if needed.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I guess I don't know how to use the chart. I came up with 17,000 GPH. :ROFL:

I am confused since the water is going up to reach it's own level, and falls down the other side, but it does not create a siphon.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Well according to this table you should be okay. Your drains should handle approximately 5000 GPH together. Maybe check it against another source to be sure though.

I also like to put ball valves on pumps to throttle them back if needed.
This is wrong. This is not a syphon set up, take a look at the pic. Water spills over from one pipe to the other. This is a much slower drain. The advantage of this set up is no check valves and also no possibility of overflowing your sump when the pump fails.

I guess I don't know how to use the chart. I came up with 17,000 GPH. :ROFL:

I am confused since the water is going up to reach it's own level, and falls down the other side, but it does not create a siphon.
You are correct! This is not a syphon set up and is a much slower drain. Just read your PM Yes poop and crud can build up in the bottom of that drain. Its a great way to remove water from the bottom of the tank but not good at picking up crud. Your still going to have to gravel vac. Use this system with and overflow for the water on the top. I use Glass-holes.com overflows they work great.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Egon, do you have to run a snake in the bottom drains occasionally to clean them out? If so, how often?
Thanks

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
I appreciate the correction. I just looked on google for pvc pipe flow rates. Is there a more useful table I could find? The sticky thread has all of the components to make the calculation, but I must have missed the actual formula. I get what you're saying though, the table I posted is for a "full pipe", and an overflow probably won't be full at all times. I suppose the water falling down to the sump would actually exceed the rate at which it drains from the tank due to the acceleration of gravity, causing it to suck air from the vent.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Egon, do you have to run a snake in the bottom drains occasionally to clean them out? If so, how often?
Thanks
No, it works great , zero maintenance. It just doesn't flow much water. At least as much as I thought. The fish poo and crud seems to be very lite , not clogging material if that makes sense?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store