MY "NEW" ExCichlasoma ISTLANUM

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Thought I'd show off my new male Istlanum... hes only about 4" at the moment but showing some good potential.

DSC_0110.JPG

DSC_0110.JPG

Reactions: MajesticMatt

spazmattik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2012
Virginia
congrats on the sweet pickup! I think I read somewhere at about that size bloating is no longer an issue but good luck regardless. Ive lost some juvies due to bloat.

gamerpond1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2012
Texas
congrats on the sweet pickup! I think I read somewhere at about that size bloating is no longer an issue but good luck regardless. Ive lost some juvies due to bloat.
Im curious about this I had a problem with my flowerhorn fry bloating before they reached 1.5 inch do you know of any other species that have bloat issues

Sent from my SM-T210R using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Firemouths istlanum Helleri + many other cichlids are prone to bloat especially when younger... It's down to over feeding, water conditions and stress :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spazmattik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2012
Virginia
Firemouths istlanum Helleri + many other cichlids are prone to bloat especially when younger... It's down to over feeding, water conditions and stress :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Exactly. I found it more tricky to raise a group of Istlanum juvies for this reason. The more dominant one tends to grab more food and can bloat, then it goes down the chain basically. So much easier to raise a couple so you have more control over who eats what.

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
Heres a little update of the male.. I'm keeping the female seperate until she grows bigger and can stand up to the male a bit better as hes already killed 2 mates so far.

DSC_0004 2.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG

DSC_0004 2.JPG

DSC_0012.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
Just love your fish. I got some istlanum from Mr. Umbriferum years ago and the male already had a large hump at less than four inches. I was amazed. Unfortunately I suffered some catastrophic loss of the whole tank. Seeing your fish makes me want to get more and give it a go again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store