Teacup Stingray?

Young_Fish_Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
San Antonio, Tx.
Hello, MFK. I've been looking at Freshwater Stingrays for sale,but I've noticed most of them have been illegal in Texas, still to this day looking & at one of my LFS they have what is called, the "Teacup Stingray." i was hooked immediately and spoke to the owner and said they got it imported from New York & that it is completely legal to keep one? Shocked, i didn't purchase it but asked them to put it on hold, so if i do in fact find out it is legal, i can purchase it. After doing some research for a few weeks, i also read that most are not in good condition, this kinda worries me but that is not the case. If it is legal does anyone have experience they can share or precautions to take or the best care habits, such as feeding, temp, ect? Please help me out with the care part and just let me know if it is legal or not with the information. Thanks guys much appreciated, have a good day!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Most 'tea-cup' rays sold are P. reticulata. Which are illegal (as are all FW riverine rays) in TX and are one of the more difficult species to maintain because of mistreatment from capture to store delivery.
BTW, what makes the lfs think that an illegal species is magically made legal if it came from NY? And, what's with the 'import' nonsense. You can have something shipped state-to-state but, you can't import something from the same country.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Sounds like the shopkeeper was blowing smoke all over the place and doesn't know what import means lol.I was in a shop in New Jersey yesterday and was almost tempted to purchase a tiny teacup they had there.It was the cutest thing...about the diameter of a Reeces cup.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No idea but what is it about the teacups and their poor handling and shipping that Oddball pointed out?...is their collection and handling any different from the other ray species?

Young_Fish_Keeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2014
San Antonio, Tx.
Most 'tea-cup' rays sold are P. reticulata. Which are illegal (as are all FW riverine rays) in TX and are one of the more difficult species to maintain because of mistreatment from capture to store delivery.
BTW, what makes the lfs think that an illegal species is magically made legal if it came from NY? And, what's with the 'import' nonsense. You can have something shipped state-to-state but, you can't import something from the same country.
okay, appreciate the information, but not sure if you meant it to be that way but it sounded kinda rude by the diction used, so please just know that im going off what the owner said & not my own thoughts.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
okay, appreciate the information, but not sure if you meant it to be that way but it sounded kinda rude by the diction used, so please just know that im going off what the owner said & not my own thoughts.
My comments were directed towards the lfs owner that was blowing smoke up your 6.

BTW, I'm never rude. As a former Navy Chief, I tend to write in bullet statements.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store