Jaguar Cichlid gill issue

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
What would cause my 10" Jag to occasionally leave his gills hanging open for 10-15 seconds at a time? He's in a 125g by himself with 2 AC110s and 1 biowheel 350 as filtration. He's not aggressive towards me so it doesnt seem to be an aggressive kind of flaring, and the 3 HOB filters should be keeping enough oxygen in the tank for him. Only thing i can think of that I've done differently since I noticed this is switch water conditioners, going from Seachem Prime to Safe. Tap water has always tested around .25ppm ammonia, maybe a little less. Water parameters are always pretty consistent... between 0-.25 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrates, 8.2 pH. Could it be gill flukes? I've been dosing about a 1/2 tbsp of Safe per water change, could i be over dosing? Or since Safe doesn't remove certain metals from tap water like Prime does, could that be a problem? Doesn't seem to be a serious problem, but would like to diagnose it and solve it before it becomes more of an issue.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
What is your routine for water changes?
I usually just change about 30-40% once per week, sometimes twice. Going to start cutting back his food now as well... Instead of not feeding him 1 day per week, I'm going to see how he responds to being fed every other day.

cichliddave

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Denham Springs La
Has he moved the substrate and flaring at his reflection at the bottom or side of the tank? My Umbee is constantly charging at his own reflection.

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
Judging by your parameters something isn't right, should have zero ammonia,

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Its between 0 and .25ppm right out of the tap according to my API test kit and stays at that number in the tank for a week in between weekly water changes... Never seen the ammonia at 0 but never seen it hit .25ppm either, its always the same no matter what i do (lighter green on the chart than .25 but not quite yellow for zero) so I'm assuming its because of the traces of ammonia in my tap water.

JRT8783

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
Minnesota
Has he moved the substrate and flaring at his reflection at the bottom or side of the tank? My Umbee is constantly charging at his own reflection.
He will attack his reflection at night after the lights go out but this flaring that i'm seeing will be when he's just watching me walk by the tank during the day when he's waiting for food and his gills will open up and just stay open til i put my hand up to the glass and he backs up. There's no aggressive movements that he's making to make me believe he's flaring at me, his mouth stays closed and he just hovers in 1 spot calmly with his gills open. I've had aggressive cichlids that flare at me and try to bite me through the glass... this definitely isn't that. Its nothing I've ever seen any of my cichlids do so i guess its possible, but I'm leaning towards an oxygen issue or something with the Seachem Safe since i never noticed this when I used Prime. Anyone else have any ideas or know what else i could test for to try and figure this out?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store