Arowana and Gars

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi all.
Do any of you guys keep asian aro and spotted gar together? I have seen pics over the past year or so with the 2 together but would like peoples opinions on whether this works in the long run or not. Assuming both fish are similar size do they get on well as a combo?
Any help appreciated, thanks.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
I tried keeping a RTG with Tropicals and Floridas, it was bad the aro was injured.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Hi and thanks for the reply. What was the issue? How many gars and what size tank? I was hoping to mix 2 spotted gars with a red aro.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
Not sure what the issue was, they tore up the arowana during the night so I wasn't there to see it happen. There were 4 gars and they were in a 180 gallon tank.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
A Gator gar is a different story, bigger and aggresive i would imagine, although i have never kept one. I have 2 florida/spotted gars.
My silver and rtg was damaged in the back becpuse of my gator gar. I guess they just cant exist together

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
That is a small tank for so many big fish. How big were the gars and aro when it happened? Thanks
Not sure what the issue was, they tore up the arowana during the night so I wasn't there to see it happen. There were 4 gars and they were in a 180 gallon tank.

cnel124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2013
Bangkok
The gars aren't large enough to upgrade yet and I don't want two tanks in the house yet, I tend to let one system go if I have two.

The gars were 14 inches and the Aro was around 7 or 8. I think gars and aros can go together if the aro is larger.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
Thanks for the clarification. I agree and it makes sense that the aro got a hard time if it was half the size of the aro.
The gars aren't large enough to upgrade yet and I don't want two tanks in the house yet, I tend to let one system go if I have two.

The gars were 14 inches and the Aro was around 7 or 8. I think gars and aros can go together if the aro is larger.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I have 2 floridas and a hbrtg and they are fine together. My aro shows a little bit of aggression towards the gars and the gars are pretty passive. The gars are about 15 and 17" and the aro is about 19". My gars aren't at the surface very much though. They come up for air every now and again, but generally hang out mid level to the bottom level of the tank. They are in a 230 wide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store