NLS Questions

Wizzah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2013
Australia
Lets start with i have always fed my oscars hikari gold, but at nearly $20 a months its not cheap, i was looking at NLS large fish formulas 2kg bucket, been doing research and it seems that they're defiantly a good staple diet, now my questions are, is the 3mm pellets big enough for my 30cm oscars and do they sink immediately?

Cheers guys!

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
3mm should be fine for your Oscar.

Yes, they sink rather quickly.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Personally I would feed a 30cm oscar the 4.5mm floating pellets (NLS Float XL), but if your fish prefers sinking the 3mm Large Fish formula will be fine too.

Wizzah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2013
Australia
I sorta forgot to mention the reason I would prefer sinking pellets is because I have a male red devil who wont take floating pellets, so I was hoping to kill 2 birds one stone with food?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
I sorta forgot to mention the reason I would prefer sinking pellets is because I have a male red devil who wont take floating pellets, so I was hoping to kill 2 birds one stone with food?

Sent from my GT-I9305T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
My Tiger and Red that size "crave" the 6MM Thera + NLS to any other pellet that I have used. It seems to be an "ideal" size of the NLS line to me. My 11" Lemon Oscar freaks over it even more than the other two do, so it is not too big for the red devil I would imagine either.

Yes, my olfactory sense is in perfect order. With that said, I do so love garlic, and I do detect a very faint, but IMO pleasant scent of garlic. Be forewarned. You could always go the regular (non thera) formula. They eat it as well as most anything, but some of the non Oscar tankmates are more finicky and they do not have the attractant value that seems to drive fish to frenzy on pellet.

I do try to "mix it up" for the benefit of the tiny mouth on the jailbird in the tank. The Oscars are luke warm with Extreme 3mm sinking pellets or bulk less expensive 45% protein 3mm sinkers that round off for the two tinfoil barbs (that also shred the 6mm there sinkers).

My only problem with NLS is the $$$.

I would love to use it for the O. aureus project, but even for the extreme small scope the math is staggering. One hundred fingerlings with a collective insatiable appetite for pellet destruction. At the standard 1:1 ratio (pound of feed per pound of meat) in the ~8 - 9 month non winter seasonal growout, with focus on quick growth to maximize fillet size. Wow.

Top side math 100 X 10lb (unobtainable in 9 months, but not too far off) = 1,000 pounds of feed I will require.
Extreme low end 100 x 5lb = 500 pounds of feed I will require. (per 100 fingerlings!)

I couldn't see buying one hundred 5 pound buckets of NLS to accommodate it.

I might do a test and take one of the 300G Rubbermaid stock tanks and isolate it in the grow out from the other 300 & 100 stock tanks, mark it for feed only NLS! (grow to start --> large).

The others I will use a bulk rate high protein feed and measure growth rates on all and record the results.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store