Theraps lentiginosus

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Had these since about Thanksgiving 2013, being rheophillic they are very fast and hard to get pics of because they are in constant motion.
But putting this summers new crop of mosquito larvae in the tank, makes them oblivious to anything else happening around them, so maybe 1 of 10 shots, is not a blurr.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Great shots, they are looking good. I wish I had the tank space when Rusty came to speak at our GSAS meeting, he brought some.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Although mine came from Wet Spot, I wouldn't be surprised if they came there from Rusty.
They are in a 40 gal high at the moment, with tons of current, beside the 500 gph from the sump, there is a powerhead full throttle with venturi just under the influent from the sump, creating a sort of counter current effect.

darth pike

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2008
Korriban
Most likely they did. Though, to be truthful, I would have been after the T. coeruleus more ... but they went for quite a bit more than the lents went for. But I imagine the set up for them would have been the same.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
They're really coming along nicely, Duane.:thumbsup:

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
that is awesome! I never even heard of this species. keep us updated

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
With more than 50 species native to Mexico alone, many are fairly unknown to the hobby. I've been waiting years to get these.
The genus Theraps is a favorite of mine, and one of the most challenging to keep for me.
Because they come from fast flowing waters, I believe they are a bit more sensitive to conditions than many. Because I failed with Theraps wesseli a few years back, I don't let 48 hours go by without a water change, and keep the flow up to maintain a high DO.
wesseli

TMSB805

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Laurel Maryland
They are between 3-3.5", back when they arrived 7 months ago, they were maybe an inch.
Nice! Mine are quite smaller. What's your water change/ feeding regimen like?

With more than 50 species native to Mexico alone, many are fairly unknown to the hobby. I've been waiting years to get these.
The genus Theraps is a favorite of mine, and one of the most challenging to keep for me.
Because they come from fast flowing waters, I believe they are a bit more sensitive to conditions than many. Because I failed with Theraps wesseli a few years back, I don't let 48 hours go by without a water change, and keep the flow up to maintain a high DO.
wesseli
I had these guys for a while. I traded mine to Matt Q some time last year. I believe he still has them. Theraps and Astatheros are my favorites

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store