At What Age Would You Let Your Daughter Have a Boyfriend?

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
Just curious to see what the views are of parents with daughters or even people who don't have children yet.

For me, personally, I'm a bit old fashioned so I'd like to say if it were up to me I'd say after highschool. That's kind of what I'm generally shooting for but we'll see.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Never.
/thread.

Hahaha

In all seriousness, there is no need until high school or later. Kids get too distracted and will miss out on things that are more important at that age.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
in all fairness, regardless of what you want she will be at school without you there and more than likely choose when she does herself, whether you are told or not... if you tell her no it could cause you more problems, but again being to lenient equally! i would say at least 16 and then with a friends son or someone you knows son ideally (rather than a lowlife that would lead her the wrong direction) probably best you let her do it at her own pace then insist on meeting him asap for the talk!-) i thought about this while my missus was pregnant then we had a boy... phewww

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
One might argue as to whether you actually have a choice in the matter. Sure, you can restrict them from your house, but when they are not at home?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I'm shooting for saying no until sophomore high school at least. I agree with the too much distractions and not being able to focus on what's important. With that being said, I did start dating my wife senior year and we've been together 20 years now so it may be hard for me to stick to my plan

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Dating? Puh!

I know I can't stop her from starting a boyfriend/gf thing when she's at school but I can still have phone restrictions, and not allow outside of school contact.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
I don't know, I feel I can make a huge difference.

if she wants to go behind my back I guarantee at school will be the only time she can do that. and she won't be able to do much in school. if they ditch class the school let's you know

I think it's a bit of a cop out to say that you have no choice

DREWSMITH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
South Riding, VA
Never .....

I have three daughters. 6-4-and 2 years old. No makeup until their 15 at a minimum.

Drew

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
30.... kidding

When the boy has the guts to come and ask me to date my daughter then we can start from there. There will be no one on one dating until I know who the boy is and the intention of the relationship.

Same goes for my sons, when they have the guts to ask the girls dad (or mom if there is no dad) then they can start dating but again no unsupervised dating until they have a solid foundation.

I have seen some kids in my church who are doing it right and respect there parents and the person they are dating. I hope my kids follow there example.

I believe showing kids equal parts love and discipline will make stable adults who feel loved and don't have to go chasing tail to make themselves feel something.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
BTW parents can make a difference in what kids do when the parents aren't around. I don't know where the powerlessness philosophy came from with some parents.

My kids know they are loved but they also know there are boundaries with consequences and rewards. The most important thing is actually spending time with them listening to them and putting down the damn smartphone for a second.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store