Temperature problems!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I have no idea why but for some reason I'm having the following problems. First, my 30 tall is set on 77 F but it measures 82. Second, my 75 gal is set on 74 F but measures 84. This is weird because my house hasn't gone above 78 degrees this year and the lighting doesn't produce much heat on either. This is bad news since I'm soon getting a native (probably a pumpkinseed) in my 75 and I'd like to get it down to at least 78 before I do, also the Corydoras in my 30 really don't like the hit water. I plan on doing 50% on all my tanks tomorrow and for these two I'm going to add really cold water (not to cold it'll shock them but around 65 F) to try to lower temps. If anybody knows any reason for this or other ways I can lower and keep it down please let me know.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Lights and pumps can add some temperature. If you have a hood on these tanks it would definitely hold the temperature that these produce. If you have a hood you can leave access points open of more ventilation and add a fan that hits close to the surface for a bit to lower the temp a good deal. If you go this route you will have more evaporation which shouldn't be too much if an issue but you might have to top off daily.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Thermostats are known to break on heaters. They usually get stuck in the on position and will cook your fish dependijg on the size of the heater compared to the tank. Water pumps can add heat if they are inefficient or not running properly and lighting can also add heat depending on the type. Evaporation cools the tank. Somewhere you have an issue and sounds like you are lucky to have caught it now. Unless your thermometer isnt accurate

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thermometers are definitely right, I can feel how warm the water is. Problem is I can't open either of the hoods since I have known jumpers in both tanks (giant danios in my 75 and a gourami in my 30). I guess I could lower the water level and open the hood on the 39 but definitely not on the 75. Not sure what else I can do though.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Lots of makeshift options exist such as eggcrate and the like. Should do less damage to your jumpers than the hood even.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Take the heaters out and see what the temp is. The question is why your tank is 4-6 degrees over amb temp when it is usually a couple below. My old titanium one had a controller that was junk and needed to be calibrated constantly until it broke

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
First thing you need to do is unplug your heaters and see what the temp stands at in relation to the ambient temp. This time of the year, you don't really need the heaters to be on at all.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
First thing you need to do is unplug your heaters and see what the temp stands at in relation to the ambient temp. This time of the year, you don't really need the heaters to be on at all.
Alright, I'm going to unplug them and see what they are in the morning. If they aren't below 75 I'll just keep them unpluged until September or so.

Also, just thought about something. I've also got a 30 long native setup with no heater and as of now it's standing at 75 so if that helps at all.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Thermostats, are easily corroded into whatever temp they are held at thru a long winter, and once the corrosion sets in, they will not change.
Which means they keep heating even when they don't need to.
I always unplug heaters in about May, and leave them unplugged into Nov.
And for native fish, or other temperate types, such as Uruguayans, I never use a heater.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Something else I should've mentioned was that yesterday evening I opened both hoods and covered them with egg crates so the danios wouldn't jump but the temp on both went down to 80. So a combination of lifted hoods and no heater should really help I'm thinking. I do have the hood closed on my 30 but the temp isn't AS big a deal in it since I have an angelfish and he's fine with warm temps (I still want them both to drop regardless though). To be honest I'd do egg crate hoods for all my tanks just with a light on top but I don't have a fish room and all my tanks need to look somewhat neat :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store