TSN broken nose?

danelover79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Statesville, NC
Our TSN hit the glass on his 150 gallon tank tonight going after food and his nose instantly turned up and bled a little. He hasn't been able to flip it back into place. Is there anything we can/should do to help him? Worried :-/

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1402957908.160862.jpg

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
That's another problem with these apart from their huge size they are also very skittish and most if the large ones have a damaged nose, might be time for an upgrade?

If it was me and if you can catch it without to much stress and causing more damage, I would set up a hospital tank and very gently try to realign it.

Update on it's progress, good luck :)

danelover79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Statesville, NC
He hasn't been caught since we put him in this tank nearly a year ago so I doubt we could do it without stressing him out :-/ Luckily he's pretty low key for the most part...until it's feeding time.

The worst part is where it's flipped up underneath it started bleeding and there appears to be bone or something showing. I found another thread here about someone's TSN doing the same thing and everyone suggested to just leave it be and let things heal on their own.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Yea it looks bad but it should heal as long as it can eat, probably is best to leave it as long as it isn't causing a problem but I would probably try to fix it personally lol but that's just me

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I know I would try and push it back if it was mine. I wouldn't wait long to do it if you try. You don't want it to start healing and then rebreak it.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

danelover79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Statesville, NC
Passing this info along to my husband...this fish is his pride and joy lol

Any tips on how to safely realign it if he decides to give that a try? We're already planning to upgrade soon...will just have to make it sooner. The only other tank we have is a 50 gallon that we set up as a hospital tank for the LSN we had but it's probably too small to move this guy into...he's about 13-14" now I think :-/

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Passing this info along to my husband...this fish is his pride and joy lol

Any tips on how to safely realign it if he decides to give that a try? We're already planning to upgrade soon...will just have to make it sooner. The only other tank we have is a 50 gallon that we set up as a hospital tank for the LSN we had but it's probably too small to move this guy into...he's about 13-14" now I think :-/

Hopefully it should just kinda "pop" back into place at should sit where it should naturally with a bit of luck, yea a 50 is no good so just up the water change schedule and maybe add some melafix to help prevent infection.

Good luck, keep us updated :)

danelover79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2013
Statesville, NC
Yea, I'm hoping it pops back on it's own. We really don't want to stress him by trying to get it back ourselves...will most likely leave it be.

The Melafix we haven't used yet (only the Triple Sulfa on our LSN). Does it affect the beneficial bacteria on our filters? And any idea if it'll be okay with the turtles also in the tank?

Thanks!!

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Yea, I'm hoping it pops back on it's own. We really don't want to stress him by trying to get it back ourselves...will most likely leave it be.

The Melafix we haven't used yet (only the Triple Sulfa on our LSN). Does it affect the beneficial bacteria on our filters? And any idea if it'll be okay with the turtles also in the tank?

Thanks!!

I don't think it will pop back naturally but shouldn't cause a problem as long as it can eat.

No melafix won't harm your filter in any way and yes it's fine with turtles and I think people even use it to help heal turtle infections

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Like already mentioned...you could try re-setting it. The sooner the better so it doesn't start healing into that position. You will most likely have to take him out to do it properly...Maybe pressing it down with something flat wrapped with a thin towel...say 2 books or 2 DVD cases. Good luck.

I recently visited an LFS where they had a couple Sturgeon catfish with the same thing happen to them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store