Angelfish breeding?!?

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
I did a 50% WC about 30 mins ago and I can tell my angels are trying to breed on the filter stem extension. They have been cleaning it and from the one I assume is the female is fanning the stem but I see no eggs. But the other angel keeps attacking it..???

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Yeah the other one was eating the eggs. So was the female. Now they stopped eating them for now. The male is fanning them and there is a lot of eggs. Thanks

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
What's the chances of survival if I leave them in my community tank? I don't have my other tank yet, it will arrive a few days to late so they will have to stay in the big tank.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Chances of fry surviving more than a few days are slim in a community tank, however it depends on the stock and the parents it has happened before but don't count on it.

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Well I'm sure my bichir and jewels will go after them.

is it okay to still take them off after they hatch? They should become wigglers tomorrow and I should get the tank this weekend.

DevonCichlid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2011
Devon, Alberta
If you aren't setup for handling the eggs you should try and move the other fish to another tank and leave the pair in there (I know, kind of unreasonable). If this is their first spawn they will likely just eat the eggs themselves anyways, as it usually takes them a few times to get it right. But the best recipe for success would be to remove any wild cards ie other angels, plecos, predators and let the pair do their thing. Then feed them well and in variety (don't over feed) and keep up a weekly water change and within a couple weeks they will spawn again. A cooler, or cold water change was what set things off for me, but all can be different.

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Well I have a couple discus, parrot, 2 red jewels, bichir, rb shark, JD, far to much for. 50 gallon tank that I will have this weekend. Especially when my jewels are trying to get this whole breeding thing down as well.

oh and this is there first spawn. They have around 40ish eggs I'm guess left and this night will be day 3

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store