Festivum cichlids bred!

Tone123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Canada
My pair of festivems breed today in one of my larger tanks. There in with chocolates and severums that look very interested in getting the eggs. I was wondering if I should move them to either a 72g or 40g, will they still be a pair? or will there bond be broken? Should I move the baby's once they are free swimmers? or will the female protect them even though the chocolates and severums are much larger? Also only the female is only caring for the eggs while the male just hangs out at the other end of the tank not helping her. Any suggestions?

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Your best bet would be to remove some of the young and raise them away from the parents. It's just a matter of time before the babies will all get "picked off". Moving the pair with young will not work. Removing the other fish and leaving the pair with their young is iffy since the disturbance may freak the pair out, resulting in them eating their spawn, and breaking the pair bond.

Tone123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Canada
I was thinking I could take the free swimming fry out and then once the rest are picked off move the parents to there own tank to spawn again. Would this work?

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Yes, that could work, except sometimes when you isolate what was a pair in a "community setting", the pair bond may not hold up when they're isolated. Very often, it's the presence of the other fish (sevs, etc) that help the pair bond form in the first place, and the presence of other fish tends to keep it strong. When they just have one another to focus on (no external distraction) they are more likely to squabble and turn on one another.

Tone123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Canada
The eggs are now wigglers. The female took them and is hiding them well so far inside a piece of drift wood at the top of the tank. The male just started to help defend. Hopefully some will make to the free swimming stage! :D

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
You could siphon out some of the wrigglers (if they're accessible) instead of waiting until they're free swimming. The scenario is very familiar to me.

MVI_3026-3.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Yes, that could work, except sometimes when you isolate what was a pair in a "community setting", the pair bond may not hold up when they're isolated. Very often, it's the presence of the other fish (sevs, etc) that help the pair bond form in the first place, and the presence of other fish tends to keep it strong. When they just have one another to focus on (no external distraction) they are more likely to squabble and turn on one another.
Jim you always give great advice.:)

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Awesome !! Wish you were near me, I would help you out with some of the fry.

Tone123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2013
Canada
Turns out that the parents still are learning because they ate the fry. Hopefully they will learn not to for next time!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store