Your thoughts?

Etunes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Florida
So i just got this amazing offer(atleast i think it is) for having my hand in a small breeding project with leapord geckos. The thing is i am wanting to involve myself in breeding more and to do something kinda NEW and INTERESTING, something not really dabbled in before or not into a crazy extent.

So long story short i was offered a decent breeding colony of leapord geckos of about 20 adults and about 40 babies (hatched and unhatched) from this season for a not so bad price. Including incubator and setup and all. Thing is i origionally wasent wanting to get into leapord geckos as it dosent fit in the NEW catogory that i mentioned before but it is a good price and a interesting oppurtunity to learn especially with someone on my side to help.

Thing is i am not sure if i should jump on it as i was looking for something more uniuqe. And as a example i was looking at info on Tokay Geckos and i found this articale which if you have time to read ti was a great quick read. (http://www.geckotime.com/tokay-gecko-morph-interview-with-nerd/) And it was one of my originolly my thought to maybe get into tokay geckos but i am unsure.

So now that i have ranted for a bit and i am sure none of that made sense but in the end my questions are even with the good price of all the geckos if it is a good move. I mean your talking limited space and time i cant really jump into a ton of projects (and i am getting into one already) but on the other hand it would be great experience to learn more about breeding. Do you think it is a good idea?

Also what ideas for some animals (breeding wise) that would be kinda new and interesting? I am doing a small one now with cacellian worms already (typhlonectes natans) and i was thinking it owuld be cool to get into some of the other species of cacellian worms as in doing research there natural coloring can be amazing. Draw back is owning one can be like owning a pile of dirt. So what ideas for some animals that would be kinda new and interesting?

Thanks for reading my page of questions. And thanks for the help ahead of time. :)

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
If you are not that interested in leopard geckos do not get them thinking that it is a good price and you might be able to make some money off of them. Reptiles are not lucrative and you would be lucky to break even. From my own experience, it is better to save up and get something that you REALLY want.

Try looking into crocodile skinks (Tribolonotus spp.) There are a few species that you might be able to find, they are not very expensive, require minimal set up (like the leopard geckos) and can be bred in captivity with a bit of persistence. Not to mention they are way cooler looking IMO.

Do your own research though and settle on something that you think is right for you. Then save up and wait for them to become available to you and get that. Trust me- it will be much more rewarding that way.

Etunes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Florida
If you are not that interested in leopard geckos do not get them thinking that it is a good price and you might be able to make some money off of them. Reptiles are not lucrative and you would be lucky to break even. From my own experience, it is better to save up and get something that you REALLY want.

Try looking into crocodile skinks (Tribolonotus spp.) There are a few species that you might be able to find, they are not very expensive, require minimal set up (like the leopard geckos) and can be bred in captivity with a bit of persistence. Not to mention they are way cooler looking IMO.

Do your own research though and settle on something that you think is right for you. Then save up and wait for them to become available to you and get that. Trust me- it will be much more rewarding that way.
That makes sense. It isnt so much that i am not interested in them. I actually really like lepord geckos i just was wanting to do something not really done before. I was actually gonna start small with leapord geckos and not start big with them. I was planning to breed a few pairs to try it not so many but idk with the price if i should jump on it. It sounds fun i am just thinking if it worth it or not if i want to do somehting else in the future. I am going Friday morning and will have pics of his set up for others to enjoy to see what his set up is. I was wanting to put experience under my belt this is just a larg set up compared to what i was planning (19 adults, 20 babies, 20 eggs unhatched all form this season). I think the big deciding factor will be what he asks price wise for it. He has a few breeders i really like i would love to pick up from him though.

Also i dont plan to make money off of animals this is my hobby not a career. I mean if i sell some and i do make a bit of cash that would be great but not to live off of or anything.

As of Crocodile skinks i like them alot too. What do you think there color potential is? I mean breeding wise, it is a interesting thought. The other thing i was thinking about that would be interestign to work with is flat headed agamas (Agama mwanzae). Thoughts?

Etunes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Florida
And i know what i said is confusing as i am doing this at work which i probably shouldnt xD. But basically i think i agree with snakeguy and am going to not bother with buying the whole collection of geckos unless he throws them at me for free or just a rediculously cheap price and am most likely just going to buy the few i really like and do my origional plan to breed a few pairs just to say i have done it and to see what i get.

As of for myother question the ideas of breeding project so far the ideas on the tbale are Crocodile skinks and flat headed agamas (Agama mwanzae). Any other thoughts or ideas on this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store