Thinking of easing in to C02... Couple questions...

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
So while at my LFS I saw they had an inexpensive C02 system ($50). I know it's not high end or ideal, but thought it would be a good place to start without a large cost outlay.

I know nothing about bubble count or rate I would need for my 40g planted... It uses the 45gram c02 cannisters.

Anyone have any general idea how long one of those would last in my setup? It appears to have a manual valve, so i'd have to remember to turn it on when I got up and the light comes on, and turn it off as soon as I get home from work...

Was thinking if it worked decent, I could started upgrading components as I go, like a solenoid I could hook up to my timer so I wouldn't have to turn it on and off manually...

Thre LFS has the 45gram canisters for $10 each, which I'm sure I could probably find cheaper online, just wondering how long they'd last to get a general idea of ongoing cost... Trying to do as good as my limited finances allow.

Or for a few dollars more I could mail order a Fluval setup that uses 88gram canisters... and the canisters are about the same cost...

I guess I'm just looking for how long a 45gram or 88gram canister would last me. Trying to get info before I jump into the shallow end, lol.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Well, here's what I'd ask first. What kind of plants do you have, what lights, what substrate, and what fertilizers are you doing?

Those co2 systems aren't overly cost effective, and sure maybe you'd get decent results with them but for a 40 gallon, odds are that running that thing will cost you more within the first year than having bought a proper co2 setup.

Personally, I'd rather save up my money now and buy a high end co2 thing later, than spend any money on a setup that I'm going to end up finding inefficient relatively shortly.

The other thing as well is that co2 isn't necessary until you start hitting higher light outputs, so I'd say wait.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I got my co2 set up from aquacave on- line. I think the whole set up with 10 lb cylinder was around $280ish. It's pretty much set it and forget it. You just have to get cylinder filled. That's around $15 and lasts 2 1/2 years.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
I got my co2 set up from aquacave on- line. I think the whole set up with 10 lb cylinder was around $280ish. It's pretty much set it and forget it. You just have to get cylinder filled. That's around $15 and lasts 2 1/2 years.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Well, pending on how much you inject.

My co2 is a 20lb on two tanks and I get 6+ months since both tanks are high tech. A 10 and a 75

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

maxumum2

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 19, 2011
kenosha WI
How does lowering your ph with that work sorry for the sidetrack

Sent from my SPH-L720T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Well, here's what I'd ask first. What kind of plants do you have, what lights, what substrate, and what fertilizers are you doing?

Those co2 systems aren't overly cost effective, and sure maybe you'd get decent results with them but for a 40 gallon, odds are that running that thing will cost you more within the first year than having bought a proper co2 setup.

Personally, I'd rather save up my money now and buy a high end co2 thing later, than spend any money on a setup that I'm going to end up finding inefficient relatively shortly.

The other thing as well is that co2 isn't necessary until you start hitting higher light outputs, so I'd say wait.
Same thoughts here, if you go online and look at reviews for these systems and there are a lot of complaints about how long the cartridges last.

Dark Rose

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2013
United States
40 breeder, Finnex Ray2, organic potting soil/PFS mix with a Seachem fluorite black sand cap. Weekly Flourish, liquid CO2 when I remember.

Argentine sword, moneywort, scarlet temple, water sprite, and attempted glosso. I really would like something to carpet, and I've read carpeting really works best with high light (which apparently I have, causing my algae issues) and CO2.

Tried Glosso because nowhere local had dwarf baby tears.

Would also like some corkscrew val but haven't found it local either.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
40 breeder, Finnex Ray2, organic potting soil/PFS mix with a Seachem fluorite black sand cap. Weekly Flourish, liquid CO2 when I remember.

Argentine sword, moneywort, scarlet temple, water sprite, and attempted glosso. I really would like something to carpet, and I've read carpeting really works best with high light (which apparently I have, causing my algae issues) and CO2.

Tried Glosso because nowhere local had dwarf baby tears.

Would also like some corkscrew val but haven't found it local either.

Sent from my SM-N900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
With that kind of setup I'd just go straight for a good co2 setup as you are well in high light range.

Also, dwarf baby tears suck, Monte Carlo is better IMHO, but glosso is also great.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store