What and Where to Fish (I'm taking a trip to SC)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Going on a big family vacation with my grandparents, cousins, etc to SC in July and being the place we rented is very close to the beach I need to know what to fish for, when to fish for it, what bait, etc. The place were going is extremely close to Mt. pleasant which is half way down the state and right on the coast for those who don't know. I've never saltwater fished before in my life and I'm excited to give it a try. I know we're doing a private deep sea fishing charter on one day but the other days it's all up to me to figure out where to shore fish and how to so I'm trying to gain some knowledge and experience here. Now obviously this will be in the heat of summer so please give advice about fish that are in season for that time of year. I don't really know how the freshwater fishing is down there in terms of fish like bass so feel free to talk about that as well.

Some fish I'd really like to catch deep sea fishing include: pretty much any of the large sport fish such as marlin, grouper, tuna, etc

In terms of shore fishing I'll be using a rod with 12 pound line and a rod with 25 pound line so nothing insane that'll break them but nothing to tiny either. I don't know how difficult it is to catch them but I've been wanting to catch a Gafftopsail Catfish for a long time, even a hardhead would work but I prefer topsails since I've heard they fight well and I'm just a catfish addict :)

Any advice, experiences, recommendations, etc are welcome!!!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Bump, only another few weeks so I'd appreciate so a feedback as soon as possible. Also, I'll be bringing my own gear that I normally use in only FW so do I need to maintenence or change things in my setups such as the line after SW fishing?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Anybody? I don't have any experience with SW fishing so any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

pshtex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2010
united states
Not sure what is off the coast in sc but i bet you can fish for sharks or cats if u bait a line and through it out there. Take a cast net pull in something hook it and wait. Other than that I don't know what else to say.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I was in Myrtle Beach and Charleston fishing last month. I fished at the 2nd Ave pier in Myrtle. Caught these boys and hand lined them up the pier.

uploadfromtaptalk1404344520707.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1404344542905.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Started with shrimp to catch live bait for the day. Mainly croakers, then cut them and used them for bait.

I work in Myrtle twice a year and have never caught a salt catfish. However when I work in Galveston I catch loads of them. There were lots of skates and rays caught on the pier in Myrtle while I was there also. I heard the Reds are in but didn't catch any or see them caught.

I'd suggest catching your own bait or buying fresh fish for bait. The stuff at a lot of places has been frozen too long and doesn't work as well.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Thanks for the advice guys! I probably buy some fish and use them to catch bait as suggested. Any particular rigs that work well for certain fish?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Steel leaders and large hooks ;-)

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I was going to chime in but I figured I didnt know what I was doing because all I can catch are sharks and skates. I use fresh shrimp (boatloads anywhere you go) and steel leaders. I moved to hhi last year and have been fishing about a dozen times on beaches and docks hoping for game fish but havent gotten much other than black tip reef shark babies and bonnetheads. On the main beach here I have seen skates and btr within feet of the beach among swimmers. Their numbers are kinda sketchy imo. Bait doesnt last 1 minute in the water.

Ive also fished the lagoons a little but have been highly discouraged by alligators. I usually get about 2 casts before drawing unwanted attention and have to move.

If you want to try fishing around hhi and want company let me know. I have a half dozen rods and need to figure out why there is so much talk about the amazing fishing here

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store