newish to fish

jester335

Feeder Fish
Jun 17, 2014
United States
Hello my name is Jessica K. I've had a few small tanks before. One 29 gal salt a few years back. I work at a pet store and some one gave me a 170 gal that I'm turning into a fresh community tank. I'm thinking mostly tetra and some discus. It was pre drilled for a sump so that's going to be fun. I'm hoping it will be a total diy and all I need to buy is the parts. I have never done anything this big and would welcome any tips and info. It's still sitting on my floor in my spare room waiting for me to build the stand. This should be a lot of fun!!!!!;)

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Sounds like a great project. Keep us updated with progress and if you have any specific questions, ask away. Theres always someone here with knowledge to help. Now lets see some pics of this tank!

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
is it a tall? love my 180 tall. mines bottom drilled, use to be a large reef tank. now an Oscar tank along with a few other fish.

jester335

Feeder Fish
Jun 17, 2014
United States
It's 70x18x30. WhEn I was thinking about starting a tank I was thinking Oscars but hate how much cleaning goes along with them. I did fall in love with some flower horns last week that had me second guess my stock list. Mine was a reef tank too.

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Hello and welcome to mfk Jessica. Your in the right place to learn all about fish ... enjoy

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
The stand is pretty easy to build. Lots of info online. I just built my stand for my 200 gallon. Basically a bunch of 2x4, wood screws and mitre saw. Dont attempt to cut without mitre saw. It will save you a lot of time and frustration. I bought the cheapest one at home depot. Aprox $75. Gluck.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store