New low-tech tank set-up

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Hi all, I'm getting a new 55 that I want to set up as an ultra low tech planted tank, I already have 96w of light to use. What I'm planning is having it heavily planted with nothing but lights and ferts every so often. I will be doing water changes as needed. So far I'm thinking bichir, African spotted leaf fish, betta or blue gourami and any others that can go with just taking the oxygen from the plants? I may run a small pump at night, if I notice that that the plants are putting out too much CO2. As for substrate I was thinking Eco Complete with play sand on top, since none of the fish are diggers. I do like the idea of lava rock though. Thanks for any advice. @Mods I did post this in different forums because I wanted to get the widest number of options & I didn't know which would be best.:D

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well you have a couple things backwards such as the "plants will excrete c02". Plants excrete oxygen rather than c02 so you shouldnt need a air pump at night. If you want amazing growth you would actually be adding c02 into the aquarium. But your lighting seems perfectly fine and I wouldnt recommend a bichir as they get +12 inches though your other choices would be perfect.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Thanks for the reply, I had always been led to believe that at night plants give off CO2 and O2 during the day while performing photosynthesis. Oh, the bichir will be moved into a bigger tank later on, I already have another one in a 240. The thing is that I love them so much that I wanted to get another baby and raise it up.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Thanks for the reply, I had always been led to believe that at night plants give off CO2 and O2 during the day while performing photosynthesis. Oh, the bichir will be moved into a bigger tank later on, I already have another one in a 240. The thing is that I love them so much that I wanted to get another baby and raise it up.
in that case id get 5 babies and grow them all up :)

lyfeoffishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2013
florida
Thanks for the reply, I had always been led to believe that at night plants give off CO2 and O2 during the day while performing photosynthesis.
This is true for some terrestrial plants not too sure about aquatic plants though.

Also wouldn't the birchic wreck havoc on plants with being heavily planted?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
From my understanding non aquatic plants do give off c02 do to the respiratory exchange but aquatic plants dont I believe. Could be wrong but thats what i've read haha. People usually worry about c02 levels because when running c02 the plants at night cannot absorb the c02 due to no light leading to a deadly level of c02. It sure does sound like you have done your research and I'm sure it will turn out great! If you have a 240 go for the bichirs!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store