why ask for stocking tips?

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
as I sit here and wait for my power problem to be fixed im wondering why people have such a problem stocking aquariums? why do you ask what someone else likes to have ? cant you just go to the fish store and pick out what looks good to you? the problem I find is that I have not enough aquariums to hold all the fish I would like to have. if I were starting another tank I would pick the combo that I like, not what some creepy guy in his/her parents basement 1,000 miles away prefers. stocking a tank is over half the fun of keeping aquariums. I would only ask opinion if I had a compatibility question. thanks for your ear. end rant.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
I usually ask for other people's opinions cuz I like to see what other fish are out there. Example, I have a 20g tank that's empty and wanted to get some guppies, but I ask others what they'd get in case something interesting comes up, like if someone recommends bichirs or african cichlids, those choices weren't in my mind but they r now! :D kinda confusing haha

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I like to go to all the LFS I can and see with my own eyes whats out there. and keep checking back to see newly received fish. and if people are suggesting bichirs for your 20 gallon tank I suggest you do not take there advice. ;) you would think someone could figure out a small 20 gallon tank could only house small fish but there are a lot of dumb people out there so maybe asking advice is best

Ninjabadger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2014
Henlow, UK
In terms of picking out what you like sometimes comes back to bite you. I tend to buy what takes my eye, like the Jaguar catfish at the LFS. I googled on my phone, determined that while large would be suitable to keep and brought the little guy home.

Sitting later doing some research on best water parameters seeing what if anything I needed to tweak to help him settle among his turns out he's a Marbled Achara so now looking at getting a monster tank to replace the one he's going to outgrow in the next couple of months.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
In terms of picking out what you like sometimes comes back to bite you. I tend to buy what takes my eye, like the Jaguar catfish at the LFS. I googled on my phone, determined that while large would be suitable to keep and brought the little guy home.

Sitting later doing some research on best water parameters seeing what if anything I needed to tweak to help him settle among his turns out he's a Marbled Achara so now looking at getting a monster tank to replace the one he's going to outgrow in the next couple of months.
How is getting a larger tank bad? I've done this before and if it doesn't work out I bring it back to LFS. JUST another excuse to go back lol. Its a catfish, pretty much all get huge.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
You ask because you never know what is out there. A lot of the fish that are now my favorites were recommended by someone else.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
It seems like a pretty popular thread topic around the forum.Some members here probably post that question to get other ideas,most probably already know or have an idea of what they want.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I will be done with my 600 in the next few weeks. What should I put in it? I was originally going to get a trio of guppies but found out they would get ground up when they came back from my sump. Any other good ideas?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I agree with what most have said here, sometimes you don't remember all the fish that appeal to you especially when stocking a tank size your not used to. Another reason might be you already know what you want but are torn between choices and hope the responses will help you choose one over the other.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store