my fish R jumping a lot more recently

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
It's been going on for a while, and is noticeably different behavior. I hear & see the splashing as they breach the surface often throughout the day & night, in different tanks & types of stock. fish I've had through previous years' seasons. Before or after water changes, doesn't matter.
At first I thought just a seasonal quirk, or due to tank water level variations, or water params. but it is continuing EVERY day for a couple months now.
SO I can't help but wonder if they feel/sense something, such as tiny seismic activity or is the Mammoth mountain volcano gonna blow?
LOL. even with some humor here, I am getting seriously curious if there other things that fish could be detecting for such a long time, and so far I'm still on the map here.
Thoughts?

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
Well, fish don't jump for fun, that I do know. Could be a fungal infection, but if it's in all of your tanks, might be something coming from your water source? I'd start by testing your tap/well water. If you have city water, call them and see if they changed anything in the last couple months. Kind of strange for all of your tanks to have the same issue.

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
It could because of minute things growing in a HOB. I have something growing in mine, I think they're springtails. Totally harmless, and they just feed on bacteria on the part of the media that extends out of the water. They might be too tiny for you to notice, but the fish do when they land in the main tank occasionally.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Breeding behaviour possibly?
two of the most increased jumpers are single sex tanks.

Well, fish don't jump for fun, that I do know. Could be a fungal infection, but if it's in all of your tanks, might be something coming from your water source? I'd start by testing your tap/well water. If you have city water, call them and see if they changed anything in the last couple months. Kind of strange for all of your tanks to have the same issue.
No outward fungal signs. the fish don't flash in tank. one fish, a carpintis kept singly, just developed a small tissue bump behind one pec fin. but that only appeared 3 few days ago and looks like raised tissue, no fuzz or redness. she rough-houses and gets nics etc sometimes. not sure what it is. All other fish look normal.
Our community well water is only tested when the association needs to. next time is I can try to compare with previous results.
Altho jumping is increased in all tanks, a couple are more-so. and the fish don't appear irritated. they seem quite perky & the jumping is deliberate when they want to, not like they're being driven to it.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
It could because of minute things growing in a HOB. I have something growing in mine, I think they're springtails. Totally harmless, and they just feed on bacteria on the part of the media that extends out of the water. They might be too tiny for you to notice, but the fish do when they land in the main tank occasionally.
the thing is, there have always been minute little things in filters.
one tank has hob, one an overflow with drip tray, and others have canisters.
I have noticed some fish look up at surface before jumping, but everything is the same as before with water flow & bubbles etc.
So maybe you're onto a possibility.

Monstrfishkeepr99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2014
Nj
Hmmm, my fish only jump when there is a lack of aeration going on. If everything is still the same as far as aeration, try adding some extra aeration. Maybe not enough oxygen content in the water and your ish are just trying to let you know they need more.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
it's not lack of aeration, I know that much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store