Currently treating flowerhorn for hex. How long until will he eat?

Lampkin904

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I'm on day 2 of treating my flowerhorn with hex with API General Cure. Last night I noticed long white worm like poop coming out. They seem to be dead white worms. He hasn't eaten in about a week. I tried to feed him today but he wouldn't try. When do you think he'll eat? And what do you think I should feed him? Thank you for helping me out!!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Hes not eating because its painful for him. The white poop isnt actually a worm but its his intestine line shedding. I would just bump the temp a bit add some salt and he'll eat when hes ready. Cant say how long but its usually about another week. Be patient and just try to feed everyday. If he takes it great, but if not just try again the next day.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Try thawed-out frozen bloodworms if you're really concerned about him not eating for too long. Just know that fish can go for quite some time without eating.

Reactions: Muhanmad Hashim

souzie

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Ontario, Canada
My flowerhorn just recovered from hex. I treated him with metro and epsom salt the day after he refused food. I did a 6 day treatment. On day 1 and 2, he wouldn't touch anything. On day 3, 4, 5 and 6, he ate only frozen food...bloodworms, shrimp, scallops and ignored his pellets. On the 7th day I did a water change, put the carbon back in and he slowly started eating his regular foods again. Now, he's eating like normal.

Hope that helps!!

ChaosBreaker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
el monte
API General cure not gonna help u. The only way to cure internal parasite is somehow u get the medicine into his body. The medicine is only going to cure the water and the tank. U can try using prazzi pro or get the general cure mix it with some Epsom salt and soak the pellets in there for about 30 mins then let it dry out for a couple of hours and try to put the pellets into his stomach. Next time if u come across this with any other fish go to the pharmacy and buy the human internal parasite medicine and soak the pellet into it let it dry then feed the fish. After a few time it will be back to normal again

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tungtruong4

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
United State
I agree with souzie with the post above, metro and Epsom salt did work for some of my flowerhorns with Hex and internal parasites. Remove the carbon from the filter and add the medicine in with the correct dose for your aquarium, make sure to remove the carbon, otherwise the medicine won't work. Then raise the temperature in the aquarium, I raise the temperature up to 89F in my hospital tank. Once your flowerhorn start eating his food you can soak his food with metro to make sure the disease gone complete. Hope he get better soon, a sick flowerhorn is really frustrated, but just be patient and listen to the posts above your flowerhorn will get better.

noelsphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
SanDiego
i'd like to add to this since i'm not sure how to start one.
i tried general cure by api for fish disease from petsma..
still no luck. also the salt. 3weeks no eating. any more info

like stuffing his stomach and which med and how much of it.
thanks in advance

noelsphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
SanDiego
how is your fish now. i used 'clear'.
after more than 30days he's eating.
didn't give full strenght. and only 3 times randomly.

CrazyCichlids

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2008
Manahawkin, NJ
If the FH is eating you can soak his food in Epson Salt and feed it to him for 5-10 days. But if your FH is not eating the best way to cure him of Hex is to use "Clear" and inject him a minimum of 5 times but as many as 10 times. The bottle of "Clear" comes with enough medicine to dose a FH at 6 inches or smaller 10 times. For larger FH you may need a second bottle. I just went through this with my Kamfa and Thai Silk. The Kamfa is back to himself after 5 days, but my Thai Silk is still sick so Im going to have to try to treat her for longer. Use Clear, it works.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store