Best antibacterial med?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
It'd be best if you post pics to show his eye issue.
Test your water and post ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and PH. some meds' efficiency is limited to certain ph etc so info helps decide the best ones. Aquanero is good at that.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Ph is around 7-7.5, ammonia 0 and I don't have any of the other test kits. I got him 11 days ago and he had horrible cloudy eye and it ended up getting a growth on it. The growth shrunk and now his eye is red. The other eye is starting to clear up. I have been doing daily 40% water changes and adding in salt at 1tsp per gallon.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
There is no "best" only the most appropriate in this case Erythromycin or Maracyn would be my choice.

BigTanker22

Feeder Fish
Jun 19, 2014
Arizona
I agree. I practice medicine on humans, and believe E-mycin is the right ABX in this case also. I also suggest you buy a book on tropical fish diseases with color picture plates in them to ID any Dzs in the future, and then it is simple to find the best ABX for their treatment.
It can be frustrating working the wrong diagnosis.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
^ Welcome to MFK.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Are maracyn products still available? I heard they weren't making then anymore. I treated with an antifungal and antibacterial general treatment. I will give that a couple days and see how it goes. There are not very many options available where I'm from. If that doesn't work, I guess I will be traveling to get some better meds.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store