Pleco Attacking Green Terror - need some help

Clam Manson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2014
Arlington, MA
www.facebook.com
about a foot long pleco about 7 inch GT. The pleco for some reason has always kind of quarreled with my terror but its never been too serious. GT is a tough mofo shares the dominance of the tank with a RD but for some reason has never fought back against the pleco. So last night i noticed it was pretty intense and now hes starting to do damage to my terror and i think its getting pretty out of hand quick, the "wounds" dont look pretty. Ive had this pleco for ever and is kind of the reason i got the 150gal set up in the first place but hes just a common, so im probably gonna look for a new home for him asap unless i can stop it.

my questio n is, who should i move out for now, my terror didnt eat today and definitely has a lot of damage and im assuming his slime coat is probably pretty f'd up. Dont wanna stress the terror but would he be better out of there for now?

and where shoould the move be to. I have a 55G with a tire track eel, definitely over a foot and a small red texas im growing out right now. i also have a ten gallon cycled and running as a medicine tank but as i said i dont want to put him in something too small and stress him to death. The sump has a free champer but its not muich bigger than the size of a ten gallon.

planning on using melafix as well so any comments on that or other ideas would be appreciated too

any advice would be great and if anyone wants a free big common pleco let me know im in arlington MA.

the set up is a 150 gallon with about 30g sump trickle layers of scrubbies and sponge, magnum 350, and ac110.

thanks in advance for any advice

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Common plecos can be very aggressive as they get big. When a cichlid starts picking on it they will fight back and hard. I had the same problem w/ a 2' Pleco and 10" texas -h. Cyano. The the Texas would try to bite the Pleco but the Pleco kept ramming that Texas. It really freaked the Texas out and the Pleco almost killed the Texas. The Pleco has a huge advantage w/ having that tough armor so it is really an unfair fight.
I would re-home that Pleco or move the GT.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Clam Manson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2014
Arlington, MA
www.facebook.com
Yea the pleco has done some damage to the Gt I just took a closer look, I want to move it out and medicate it but dont want to stress him harder and he is kind of a centerpiece of the big tank, as is the pleco due to its size. Idk tough call. Moving the Gt out then putting hm back into the pecking order with the Rd could prove pretty hard, i think im leaning towards giving the pleco to a good home. Will be sad to see him go though.

I assume plecos couldnt live in a koi pond for the summer? that would be clutch lol.

TRSickler

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Carolina
The common pleco I had some years ago was tearing up my community tank so I took him out and put him in a 5 gallon bucket. He stayed there the entire summer and was fine. So I'm sure yours would love a koi pond.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Chances are the GT did something to mess with the pleco(could have been as simple as swimming in the pleco's feeding zone). If they believe other fish are stealing their food...they will attack/chase that fish.

Placing a beat up GT or any fish in a 10gallon (with the fish being reasonable size) won't stress them...if fact it could be better. You don't want a sick fish moving all over. It's best it they rest and not move.

The only issue I see, as you mentioned, is keeping him in the tank for pecking order but the others may pick up on him being hurt and start harassing him too.

Clam Manson

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2014
Arlington, MA
www.facebook.com
Yea the pleco has kind of taken it to the point of harassment. I rearranged decor a couple weeks ago I think the pleco is a little lost too he hasn't really claimed a spot which could also be contributing. I think my plan right now (every time I think about it I change my mind) is focus on the recovery of the GT and get him in the medicine tank. If I leave him in there even without the pleco you bring up the point other fish will probably notice him hurt right now. So get him back to health, contemplate keeping the pleco or "ponding" him for the summer or trying to find him a new home in general, and when back to health get the GT back in there as cleverly as possible.

The joys of the stresses of fish keeping, thanks for all the advice.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
The pleco should be ok in the pond. As long as the temp is above 60(personally I wouldn't go below 65 but I've heard of them in 60)

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
my aunt and uncle kept a common pleco in their pond for years, the temp got as low as 6-62 and he thrived, when thy finaly fund him dead after around 10 years he was over 2 feet long and really fat. they can thrive in them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store