will it hold up?

jake m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2014
savannah
hi, im thinking of making a diy canister filter for my 180 gallon. I found these light blue 14 gallon barrels off ebay that I want to use. they say they are for beer fermenting. they have a clamp wring that goes around the lid and clamps the gasket inside the lid. they are air and water tight. the pump will be In the filter causing a negative pressure in the barrel. do you think these will hold up? sorry the thing wont let me post a link for some reason. go on ebay an look up 14 gallon barrel. click the one that matches my description.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster

spiff44

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2007
Midwest
If it'll really just function as an enclosed wet/dry, then yes. It doesn't look like it would handle water pressure. The pressure generated by fermentation is slight and is gassed off anyway by a valve on the lid. So there is no significant pressure applied to the container.

But those stainless steel soda tanks might work. You can get those from restaurant supply stores. The inlets might be too narrow for the flow you want though and the main access hole is narrow too. But if you can use loose media it might work.

TRENT

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
OREGON
Not sure where you live but my local Walmart is selling those for 29.99. You might check there if you have a Walmart close by.

I think it would work perfectly. I'm thinking if trying the same thing but running K1.

jake m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2014
savannah
trent, yes I have a walmart I will look for them. what section do you think they will be in? what is k1?

jake m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2014
savannah
after its all said and done the filter will have about 1000-1100 gph with head and media restrictions. do you think this will be enough flow for a 180 gallon? or should I go with a bigger pump? does anyone know of a good pump with around 2500Gph for under $100?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store