What filter should I buy next? Please help!?!? 75 Gallon

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
I just bought a new 75 Gallon Tank that came with an Emporer 400 HOB filter. It has been running for a few days with 15 guppies in it. It has 4 media compartments. 2 have cartridges that I cut open to remove the carbon and I stuffed 1 with a floss pad from an established canister. I also have 2 media "baskets/cartridges" that are filled with ceramic rings from an established canister. Emperor seems to be good enough as far as mechanic filtration is concerned, some I would like an additional filter to help out with bio filtrations. What would be a good option? I'm a little strapped for cash. I was thinking about adding an Aquaclear 70 loaded with only bio media. Do you think that would be sufficient? If not what else would work. My budget is about $50.

jake m

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2014
savannah
why not a diy sump? or you could buy my sump. it has a 600gph pump and it looks like its about 20-30 gallon. it has 5 gallons of bio balls. it comes with all the tubing. it really only pumps about 350gph completely hooked up. it came with my 180 gallon but then I realized it was to small. $60.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
The 400 can handle the 75 in respect to mech and bio, but this all depends on what you plan to stock the tank with.

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
I have never owned a sump and honestly don't have the space. My tank has four columns with no storage space.

The 400 can handle the 75 in respect to mech and bio, but this all depends on what you plan to stock the tank with.
The plan to stock 2 Jewel cichlids, and 3 convicts, and a JD. They are all below 2" in size currently.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I have never owned a sump and honestly don't have the space. My tank has four columns with no storage space.

The plan to stock 2 Jewel cichlids, and 3 convicts, and a JD. They are all below 2" in size currently.
You'll be fine for the next year with the single 400 unit. Once they are all grown out (and if they all still get along), you should add another filter....maybe another 400.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
another hob (ac 70 doesn't really fit the rim of a lot of 75's) is a good idea ..more than 1 filter is always a good idea, an ac110 or emp400 would work ...pen 350 or cascade 300 also

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
You'll be fine for the next year with the single 400 unit. Once they are all grown out (and if they all still get along), you should add another filter....maybe another 400.
Well that's good to know. I think I'll just wait and maybe buy a canister when I have more money.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Well that's good to know. I think I'll just wait and maybe buy a canister when I have more money.
That's what I would recommend for you. Multiple filters on a single tank is always a wise choice, but just know that canister filters are not a necessity..........another large HOB would do just fine. GL

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
Personally I'd go with an AC110 when the fish grow a bit. They are rock solid filters that withstand the test of time. Also much easier to clean than canister filters imo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
That's what I would recommend for you. Multiple filters on a single tank is always a wise choice, but just know that canister filters are not a necessity..........another large HOB would do just fine. GL
Yeah, you're right. I think I'll probably go with a HOB. I own an HOB and a Eheim Canister. I've been putting off cleaning the Canister for weeks because I didn't wanna deal with the lifting and cleaning and pulling it apart. Finally cleaned it out last week. HOBs are much easier to deal with. But also I'm thinking if the Canister is paired with an HOB and the canister has mostely bio-media the 400 was used for mostely mechanical filtration I probably wouldn't have to clean the canister as often. LOL. choices, choices choices. I think I'll just buy a HOB anyway. I love my Emperor 400.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store