What ancient fish are our ancestors?

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
Answers in genesis? This thread is gonna explode if people get all religeous. There are more answers in the dump I just left in the toilet than in genesis. In any case the actual species that crawled out of the oceans is not alive, mearly animals similar to it

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Mermaids. Duh.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I'm a paleontologist in real life. I would suggest looking at Eusthenopteron or other so called "rhipidistians" (polyphyletic old taxon). If that doesn't meet your need for age, something along the lines of cephalaspids are at least close to our lineage. If you wanna go further back, maybe just check out haikouichthys or myllokumningia. If you want even more plesiomorphic (=primative), I guess Pikaia is about the best you get. That should take you back ~520 million years and give you some starting places to look up and do your own work.

If you meant living today? Polypterus is about the best you get at the base of actinopterygii and dates back to the cretaceous. If you are butt hurting further, try the sarcopterygii, lungfish and the like. I can't do better right now, I've been in absentia from this here forum for a bit because I am doing field work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store