First attempt at a semi serious dirted planted tank!

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
I've had some plants in my 90g for a couple of years but nothing too serious. I just ripped everything out and dirted the tank this morning. It's clearing up now (I had to add a lot more sand than before to cap it, and made it cloudy). The fish seem to be enjoying themselves, sparring and courting one another.

-90g tank
-Finnex Fugeray II 7k LED
-Dirted substrate capped with 1+" of pool filter sand
-AC110 + fluval 405 for filtration
-9 pairs of various rainbowfish, 3 SAEs, 3 various cories, 3 Roseline sharks, ramshorn snails, and one albino bristlenose pleco
-Various types of anubias, java fern, some type of bacopa, jungle val and some type of rotala

That being said, does anyone have some foreground plants they can recommend that do not require CO2 and will thrive under my current conditions?

Here's a picture about 5 hours after completing all the messing around today!

DSC_1699.JPG

DSC_1699.JPG

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
You got some high light so I might recommend some floaters.

Also, try micro sword for the bottom, or Monte Carlo, or even hair grass.

You have enough light for most plants to work tbh. I'd just maybe avoid the super rare stuff like erios.

All ludwigias would work tbh.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
You got some high light so I might recommend some floaters.

Also, try micro sword for the bottom, or Monte Carlo, or even hair grass.

You have enough light for most plants to work tbh. I'd just maybe avoid the super rare stuff like erios.

All ludwigias would work tbh.
Wouldn't floaters get pushed under by the AC110 filter? That's why I've never tried them. I like the look of hair grass and micro swords. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can find.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Wouldn't floaters get pushed under by the AC110 filter? That's why I've never tried them. I like the look of hair grass and micro swords. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what I can find.
I have water lettuce in a tank with an ac70 and no problems. There water makes enough current that the lettuce doesn't get under the actual and get pushed under.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
I have water lettuce in a tank with an ac70 and no problems. There water makes enough current that the lettuce doesn't get under the actual and get pushed under.
Interesting. Not sure I have enough space between the glass and light for water lettuce though. It's too bad I think the roots look awesome.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Be sure to watch in 1080p. Zooms in at around 1:40 for the impatient ones :)

[video=youtube;nJOMERUMd90]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJOMERUMd90&list=UUv736meij1aHHim4wkscCqQ[/video]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store