Electric blue acara temprement

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I really want one, but I already have a normal blue acara, and in the tank he would go I have intentionally kept only singles of the more aggressive species (which in my tank are the blue acara, firemouth, sajica). I have multiples of less aggressive cichlids (group of Bolivian rams, pair of Keyholes), corys, and tetras, so I can't have the bigger cichlids pairing off or they would be too aggressive for this setting. But if I got an EBA that was the same gender as my blue acara (who is a total sweetheart, not aggressive at all) would they fight, since they are the same species? (Most cichlids are more aggressive to their own species, or species that are similar to them, right?)

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
You mean they didnt fight much? I guess I have my acara with curviceps, which look a lot like him and he doesnt mind them at all. I dont know if I got an exceptionally nice acara, but he is such a benevolent tank ruler. Very peaceful, much more than I expected.

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
I've got 3 EBA's in a 75 and now I know I should've bought more. While they aren't stone cold killers keeping only 3 didn't diffuse the aggression enough. One is stressed and growing at a snails pace because while his fins and body are without damage the stress of being chased makes him eat a lot less then the others. I bought them all around 1-1.5 inches and he has barely grown if at all while the other 2 have hit 3 and 3.5 inches. This is in a tank with Tetragonopterus as dithers and Ptychromis as similarly sized cichlids. Still the EBA's focus their aggression at each other and not at anyone else. I also believe the 2 bigger might be a pair hence why they don't harass each other more. They swim together chase the subordinate together and have cleaned a pit together and did some displaying(body quivering and all) while defending said pit(unfortunately no spawning though).

If you get another Acara(EBA) for your Acara and they're the same sex I imagine a similar issue would arise where the subordinate would be constantly stressed and stunted by not eating much.

WYcichlid79

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2014
Wyoming
I acquired a medium size male EBA at my LFS last week. I just stocked my tank after getting it set up and cycled. I have him in a tank with a female JD and female convict. So far I don't have any aggression issues. But my female JD and him are inseparable. They are never far from each other.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1404135364.007496.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store