Florida BAN on Lionfish Importation begins August 1st, 2014

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The new law (so far) only states 'Indo-Pacific lionfish' without defining species. HOWEVER, the law is only concerned about imports of lionfish. It will remain legal to possess live lionfish in aquariums. The stipulations being a more rigid non-release law (and penalties) and that new aquisitions are from Florida's local waters.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Surprised it's taken this long for a ban to be put into effect and that it is not more strict.I think it should be.

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
Uhm that's exactly what the original post said the law is going to do...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aww man, really? I must have missed that. I'm talking about a country wide ban on importing them. Catch them in Florida waters, sell them in US fish stores. Eliminates the need to import them, and helps out our coastal waters by getting rid of a pest fish.

robnin2002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2010
la mirada,ca
Aww man, really? I must have missed that. I'm talking about a country wide ban on importing them. Catch them in Florida waters, sell them in US fish stores. Eliminates the need to import them, and helps out our coastal waters by getting rid of a pest fish.
Agreed. Ban them from coming in and only allow florida ones to be sold. Also..... Has anyone here tried eating them? I know they are helping bring the population down in florida by getting people hooked on their "tastiness."

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Many Florida restaurants are offering lionfish on their menus. There are public interest tv spots offering safe methods of cleaning caught lionfish safely for consumption. Fishing rallys are springing up around the species with prizes for different size categories. Spearfishing is being allowed for lionfishing and for other invasives. Size-limits and catch-limits do not exist for lionfish in FL.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
There are research groups trying to get local predator species to recognize lionfish as prey animals.
Yep,someone made a thread on it a few months ago.I remember when I was down in the Bahamas two years ago I saw a dead one on the beach.It looked almost as big as a basketball.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Is it going to be like snakeheads, where you have to kill them on site. Or can you catch the lionfish and take them home for your aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store