LFS ph much higher then mine?????

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
My LFS ph is much higher then mine. I bought 2 fish and they died within 2 days. Should I advoid buying fish from there??? Or am I doing something wrong????

1 Red Devil, 1 Vieja Syn, 1 Flowerhorn, 2 Angelfish, 6 female Bettas, 2 Cories, 6 Blue Rams, 1 gold Gourami

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
What are your water parameters? What is the lfs ph? Unless its a huge difference of ph it shouldn't be killing your fish. Make sure you don't have ammonia or nitrite in your water.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Are you on a different water supply than the store?
Your current fish may be acclimatized to your tanks water conditions, but if your tanks pH is drastically more acidic than the store, or your nitrate level is much higher due to overcrowding, or fewer water changes, this may be the reason new fish die.
Or....if your tank has a higher pH, ammonia becomes very toxic the higher the pH goes, and can also be more deadly to new fish.
If either of these is the case, a very large water change is in order before any new fish are added, or group of partial water changes the week before adding anything new.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
My ph drops to 5 but it comes out less then 7. My lfs ph is at 8. I keep it at zero ammonia and less then 10 nitrates

1 Oscar, 1 Vieja Syn, 1 Flowerhorn, 2 Angelfish, 6 female Bettas, 2 Cories, 6 Blue Rams, 1 gold Gourami

catfishacr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Iowa City, IA
So your tap water is around 7 and tank water is 5? Is your tank water always at five or does it fluctuate? Try filling up a cup of tap water and let it sit over night and then test the ph to see if it goes to five or stays the same. If it stays the same than something in you tank is lowering your ph. Somethings in old tank you can get alot of mum buildup and it can make your ph crash. Make sure when your doing water changes you clean your substrate really good with a gravel vac. Also make sure to rinse all your filter media every month or so. (rinse in tank water) Hope this helps, im not a pro with water chemistry but figured Id try to help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store