Please Recommend an Algae Eater

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
Hi all

I'm fighting algae with all the techniques I know. I've got 2 more tries and if that doesn't work, I'm going to have to get an algae eating fish.

I originally only wanted fish from Tanganyika but I'm losing the battle and may have to get whatever works.

I have cyprichromis juvies and shellies, and calvus that are juvies and I don't want any aggressive fish in my tank. I had mbuna for 6 years and I'm done with aggressive.

I need something that can handle my chems, not mess with my fish (petricola) and eat lots of algae.

Does this creature exist? I had a Chinese algae eater in my Malawi tank, but he was aggressive. He also stopped eating algae when he got big.

Ideas?

Thanks

Stephen

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Snails will eat some algae. I have an issue right now with the cyanobacter/algae.

I have tried erythromycin a couple of times which knocks it out for a time. It comes back and will become resistant if Ikeep using the stuff.

The tank has a decent population of MTS (Maylasian Trumpet Snails) and the algae does not survive around the gravel. The MTS do not spend much time up in the plants however.

For some reason my population of ramshorn snails is not thriving. Perhaps due to a light feeding pattern. So there are not enough numbers to work on the algae.

I read some time back about trying to balance a tank with doses of RID-X. I need to do a search on that. I seem to recall this as part of an algae control method.

If you do not have live plants then extended dark periods may help.

Razor7Music

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
Irvine, CA
www.myspace.com
Hello; Snails will eat some algae. I have an issue right now with the cyanobacter/algae.

I have tried erythromycin a couple of times which knocks it out for a time. It comes back and will become resistant if Ikeep using the stuff.

The tank has a decent population of MTS (Maylasian Trumpet Snails) and the algae does not survive around the gravel. The MTS do not spend much time up in the plants however.

For some reason my population of ramshorn snails is not thriving. Perhaps due to a light feeding pattern. So there are not enough numbers to work on the algae.

I read some time back about trying to balance a tank with doses of RID-X. I need to do a search on that. I seem to recall this as part of an algae control method.

If you do not have live plants then extended dark periods may help.
I have trumpet snails but they can't keep up. I heard the horned snails are good and my LFS is getting more next week and I'm going to put about 20 in the tank.

I've cut back the light time and I do have plants. I also just got a Mag Float and I'm waiting for it in the mail. I'd prefer to maintain the algae then have the major scrub fest like today. I'm actually in there scrubbing rocks and shells with a toothbrush.

I also use algae fix, clean the filter, change the water, yadda yadda.

Will post back if the horned work in large quantities if I maintain more frequently with the mag float.

Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
That's a good looking fish.

Do you know what the species is that is really dark with white spots and has a white trim on it's fins?
Starlight bristlenose

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store