Question about my BD hybrid

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
I just got my hybrid not to long ago, and she is beautiful! Unfortunately she is a wickedly mean *****!!!! I guess my question to everyone, is if you have ever brought a new ray into your setup, that already has larger, established, rays in there, and the new ray just starts to assert its dominance as soon as it's dropped in? This little gem swam over to my largest ray, as soon as I dumped her in, and got on top of him and looked like she was nipping at his eyes. Now I have not seen any damage done to my other rays, and there is a pup in there, but she has killed some large fish that were in the aquarium before her. She kills them and just plays with them for a bit and swims away. Has anyone seen behavior like this before? I want to add new fish to my tank, but I am pretty sure she will kill them, and unfortunately, she is not goin anywhere. Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

KeefO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2014
Royersford, pa
It's like nothing I've ever seen! Usually when I bring a new ray home and put them in, they tend to stay away from the other rays and usually don't feed right away. Not this one, I was told that she was fed primarily market shrimp, I feed worms, so I was expecting to have to get some shrimp for her, nope, the second the worms hit the water she was all over them. So, I guess in a way, that was a good thing.

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
No ray will ever refuse worms LOL but yes, black rays tends to be more aggresive than brown rays

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
It looks like the new hybrid is much bigger than the other ray so I would say this is normal behaviour

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I wouldn't worry about it until the other rays stopped feeding

My females take a good beating at breeding time but still feed I never move them or divide them so far so good
Each ray is different

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store