Good setup for American Eels?

Czyzx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
USA
So I am working on setting up a tank for an American eel, and as the species is not commonly kept in aquariums, its a bit tricky to find information on how to keep them.

Anyway, I have read that eels like to burrow and hide, and I assume this is the same for the American. I have heard that eels can be "dirty" so I have been thinking about forgoing substrate all together to keep the tank cleaner. In order to accommodate their desire to hide, I would build a series of rock structures and caves for him to hide in.

So I guess my question is: is this a good idea, or is substrate going to be a must?

Any other tips people can give me for keeping these guys would be appreciated as well.

KcCatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2014
kansas city
I think enough sand for them to burrow in can help with stopping them trying to get out all the time

Sent from my LG-E970 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hasircoglu

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2014
Lancaster Pennsylvania
I have one, he is about 13". I have an inch of pebbles in the bottom. They can burrow through any substrate so... i only see him about once a month. Filtration is really optional as long as you vacuum the gravel somewhat frequently and have some current.

SharptoothBass

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2008
dc
[video=youtube;MGjPn-9Keys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGjPn-9Keys&list=UUZVTYwhm6uePwLBSrKzXpwg[/video] I keep one of these eels also when i first got him he got out the second day added a thick layer of floating plants and he never even goes to the top of the tank anymore. The plants made mine much more comfortable.

FishareFriends2013

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2014
Chicago Illinois
What was the growth rate on your guys American Eels? I'll be getting one tomorrow and just wanted to hear others experience with its growth. Thanks guys! Also sweet eel SharptoothBass!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store