Cinder Block Stand

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Would a cinder block stand hold a 260 gal tank or would I be better with a wooden stand? I have no woodworking experience so the thought of building a wooden stand this size is pretty daunting!

emilypam3la

Feeder Fish
Jul 22, 2014
uk
Wondering the same myself...I would know how to make a wooden stand and have no one nice enough to help me :( going to use breeze/cinder blocks but want a blueprint really....

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Making a wood stand isnt difficult. Just need to take your time and over build if it makes you feel better. I had no woodworking skills before I build my old 500g tank stand and that had to be solid since I spent a fair amount of time completely under about 5000lbs

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Block is ugly, cheap & simple and plenty strong in compression for a quick&dirty solution. Can just stack & glue together with Elmer's if you're feeling lazy.
Pretty-enough is easy-enough if you've got a hint of DIY or wet-glue, paper, crayons and kids.
Sometimes tough to get top even, though. Think about laying 2x4s lengthwise and topping with usual styrofoam to take up the bumps.
Hope this helps.
A

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
How many stacks would be recommended for a 7x2.5x2 tank? Would a stack at each end and one in the middle suffice? Does the top have to be completely covered in 2x4's or just a few spanning the top? Would the styrofoam just sit on top of the cinder blocks then place the 2x4's on top of this? Sorry for all the questions!

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
When I did a cinder block stand for my 125g (72"x18"x21") I used a 3/4" plywood that was cut to the footprint of the tank and 4 stacks of 3 blocks and some cinder block caps to beef up the height alittle. I staggered the blocks so the weight was evenly distributed between the 4 stacks of blocks. HTH

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I just made a quick plan on paint, there will be a sheet of styrofoam on top of the blocks then a sheet of plywood then the 2x4's running across the top, any idea how many 2x4's I should have running across the top?

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
May I ask why are you planning on using 2x4's? The top of my old stand was just a sheet of 3/4" plywood and as long as the weight is evenly disrtibuted you shouldn't have any problems. My stand stood for 3 years and was taken down because I wanted to try and build a custom wood stand instead. If you are weary of just 4 stacks you could beef it up by adding more cinder block stacks.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
I'd stack 3 layers and put a thin sheet of plywood between each layer. Since the tank is 30" wide your going to need 18 blocks. One stack at each corner and two stacks supporting the middle. Then you can use 2x4s or another sheet of plywood between the tank and stand. If the tank is glass I wouldn't worry about the foam, just get some shims and use a level.

Here's a nice stand I found on google. uploadfromtaptalk1416920445256.jpg

Sent from my MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store