Fx6

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
You guys must be sick of me posting filter questions but every time I think I made my mind up ...I change it!
I love the 2262 but it draws allot more power and costs allot more so my QUESTIONS ARE FOR FX6 OWNERS (no eheim/fx pissing matches)

How do you have the trays set up ?

Does it hold a good amount if bio media? From the pics online it doesnt look like it holds that much

Any issues with sand a the substrate if I use pre filter pad I should be ok right ?

Would be on a 150 gal with an ac110
Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I have mine on a 4' 120. Its holds way more bio media than you would ever need. I have 1 tray of rings, one tray of matrix and one tray of those Rena Star things. I have all of the sponges in place too. Mine is on a geo tank and I am having no sand issues. So if you use a prefilter you will be double safe.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I have 1 tray of rings 1 tray of carbon and 1 tray of bio-media (piranha in tank so the more bio the better) plus all the sponges along the side. Works great. Never had a trace of ammonia in my tank with the amount of bio media it has and piranha are beyond messy.. As far as sand I think you should be fine as long as you keep the intake fairly high. And with a pre filter pad you should be fine.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
When you guys mentioned rings do you mean bio max or something like eheim mech ? Do you guys have filter pads on top of the bio media ? Is the set up opposite of the eheim classics meaning coarse pads would go on the top trays and fine pads would go on the bottom trays closest to the impeller? Also does it come with all the pads you need and how much more bio media should I purchase

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
When you guys mentioned rings do you mean bio max or something like eheim mech ? Do you guys have filter pads on top of the bio media ? Is the set up opposite of the eheim classics meaning coarse pads would go on the top trays and fine pads would go on the bottom trays closest to the impeller? Also does it come with all the pads you need and how much more bio media should I purchase

It comes with all the pads etc.... It tells you exactly how to set it up. I added CPE and purigen. Are you replacing an old filter?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
I had sand issues with my FX 5's after a year or so on the PF sand tanks ,had to replace two impellers,on 2 different FX5's.
Shortened intake tube even more.. still find sand in bottom of case when cleaning.
I'm currently running 5 of these filters on my tanks. All set up with Coarse bio media top and middle tray , bottom tray is Eheim Pro

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
If a tank isn't overstocked and sufficient bio going on all waste will eventually turn into minerals that will build up on bottom as fine sand. This can get into the pump thst is situated on the bottom.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jmai86

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
I've had my FX6 running for a few weeks on my 4x2x2 tank, works great. Super quiet. There's plenty of media space, I have set up:

Top tray: Fluval foam pads
Middle tray: Fluval bio rings and Matrix
Lower tray: Purigen and a polishing pad

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I have my bottom tray set up with a fine filter mesh for polishing which is very thin topped with biomax mixed with some ammonia remover matrix then the middle tray I have full of biomax and nothing but biomax and the top tray with a fine filter pad for polishing and two of the stock black sponges and of course on all three trays I have the sponges on that surround each tray this works well for me

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store