Best solution for cloudy eye

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Hey MFK I just picked up some large cichlid and beast datnoid. They all have cloudy eye as owner was recently on vacation and WC regimen was off and the sitter overfed. I'm wondering what the best method to try and clear these cloudy eyes? I have salt, and nitrofurazone handy. Suggestions other than pristine h20?

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

sevank21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
In My House
"Suggestions other than pristine h20?"

What more you want us to say?????????? "Oh, go grab a bunch of meds and throw it into your tank"?

Just keep the water clean, warm, and up the salt.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Above posts pretty much nutshells it....The real question is if the eyes were cloudy long enough to be permanently damaged?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
"Suggestions other than pristine h20?"

What more you want us to say?????????? "Oh, go grab a bunch of meds and throw it into your tank"?

Just keep the water clean, warm, and up the salt.

Just asking for advice based on your experiences. I've never had a fish develop cloudy eye under my care so this is new to me. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Krich, the previous owner left on vacation for a week and the tank was heavily overfed while he was away. I'm guessing ammonia-nitrite-nitrate spike as multiple fish have the condition in the tank. So for around about a week they've had this condition. It's a beast of a dat, around 18" plus, felt it was worth trying to nurse back to health.

uploadfromtaptalk1403553121376.jpg

I'll get pictures of the eyes tonight after I WC

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Above posts pretty much nutshells it....The real question is if the eyes were cloudy long enough to be permanently damaged?
How long would you estimate that being? I know you're very experienced with datnoids.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Hard to say really.I've gotten lazy before and missed a weekly change and seen some eyes cloud up after just that amount of time.The fresh water at that point usually did the trick but I did have one dat whose eye was ruined.....and by the way that's a good looking dat just judging from what I can see of it in the pic(can't wait to see more of it,hint hint hint)but any dat is worth saving.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Pristine water the cure. some add salt some do not. perhaps some medifix and pimafix for preventative but not a cure by any means.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Exactly my thoughts friend! Even if I can't clear them up I'll keep him, I don't mind a handicapped/disabled fish. It deserves a decent life too and he was for a fair price given his condition. I'll post some pictures of it in the 600 when I get home tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store