Will a Bichir eat snails?

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
I have an ornate Bichir, roughly 7.5 inches. I am looking for an algae eater for my tank. I wanted to get a bristlenose, But read that plecos are a no go. I have Nerite snails in my 35g and my 5g and they keep those tanks spotless. Was wondering if I get some for my 135 will my ornate try to eat them? Anyone keep snails in their tanks with Bichir?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I know for sure my ornates will due to their size, try one snail and see what happens.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Will it harm him if he does? He can't digest the shell can he?

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
My adonis pleco did fine with bichirs as well, but they're the kind that's hit or miss

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yes adonis plecos are fine and other spiny type plecos. Not all plecos will suck on bichirs slimes. It from genus "hypostomus" and genus "glyptoperichthys" are those that should be avoided. Although some species in those group wont do harm but its still 50/50. Since many in these group are just know in the trade as sailfin or common plecos as they all look very similar. Best to know the species. That's why some people will say that they actually have success with a common pleco but turns out they could have the gold spot pleco.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
So bristlenose are ok. What other plecos are good with them something on the smaller side. Like 12" body mass full grown is about as large as I would go.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store