What catfish would go well with bichirs???

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
Hey guys. I really want a cat for my bichirs tank. But not sure what to get :(. I really like tigs, but they're so rare and expensive!!! RTCs or TSNs are way to big :(. What do you guys think?? And post pics of what cat will be suited for my bichirs. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Featherfin catfish or any syno cat
No synodontis catfish especially featherfin. They are just like pleco they rasp on the slime coat of bichirs. Some do have success but if it learn to rasp on the scales thry wont stop. They can do faster damage than a pleco would as they got teeth.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Lima shovelnose are my favorite catfish that go well with bichirs :) I have one I'm currently growing out to put with my bichirs :) and they don't get big like TSN & RTC! :D

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
I have Faranah lap, nigerian laps, congicus, etc. and my tank is 75g built in wet dry ATM. I'll upgrade when I move out with my mom (I'm 17 :D). I would love to have Lima sholvenose and Juruense. But could not find them anywhere in any lfs :(

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
With 75g tank and with that much bichirs already, especially a congicus. I think it's best to wait till you upgrade. A 75g is even too small for a congicus when it's fully grown. We're not sure when u gonna move out but best to stick on your current stock for now. Many pimelodus type catfish get spook and in a small space they end up banging itselt on the tank wall and chances are they get a head trauma or a spinal cord injury. Many rob their snout and get infected.

When u get a bigger tank atleast 180g or bigger. Their are plenty of mid size pimelodus type catfish and doradid type catfish that would match the primitive look of the bichirs. Also some driftwood type catfish would look good too.

Khapham_1997

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
My house!!!!!
With 75g tank and with that much bichirs already, especially a congicus. I think it's best to wait till you upgrade. A 75g is even too small for a congicus when it's fully grown. We're not sure when u gonna move out but best to stick on your current stock for now. Many pimelodus type catfish get spook and in a small space they end up banging itselt on the tank wall and chances are they get a head trauma or a spinal cord injury. Many rob their snout and get infected.

When u get a bigger tank atleast 180g or bigger. Their are plenty of mid size pimelodus type catfish and doradid type catfish that would match the primitive look of the bichirs. Also some driftwood type catfish would look good too.
I knew it! My 75 is too small :(. Guess I'll have to upgrade then get a cat then! If so, I'll save up money for a tig! Thanks guys!

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
I knew it! My 75 is too small :(. Guess I'll have to upgrade then get a cat then! If so, I'll save up money for a tig! Thanks guys!

Always don't rush. Just save up for now. You rush things and if somethings goes wrong you end up with a dead fish, money lost and regrets. Save up for a bigger tank right now. Set it up well. Invest on right equipments. When you do have all the right setup, whenever you wanna buy fish can do anytime as long as you got the money. Lol!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store