Archers

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I was thinking about buying a couple golden archers from my LFS but I read they're brackish.
My LFS has them in freshwater.
Is it OK just keep them in freshwater?
Any long term effects doing this?
I'll be keeping them in a 210 with clown loaches, giant danios, bristlenose, and a small fire eel.
Any input would be appreciated
Thanks you

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
LFS often keeping brackish fish in FW because they don't stay in the store long. Keeping archers fish in FW will kill them off in 6 months to a year max.

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
This really depends on the species, but you need to identify the species. Xanthism, which makes the golden archer gold, tends to wipe out other markers that help identify them. Count the dorsal spines. If there are four it is T. jaculatrix. It requires approximate SG 1.010. If it has five spines, it is probably T. chatareus, T. oligolepis, or T. microlepis. If it has more than 30 scales in a longitudinal series, you can rule out T. oligolepis. If it has more less than 30 scales in in a longitudinal series, you can rule out T. microlepis. Due to xanthism, T. chatareus would be difficult for me to id. I would nearly wager that these are neither T. blythi or T. lorenzi. T. chatareus prefers ~SG 1.010. T. microlepis and T. oligolepis prefer 1.005. These two are also found in freshwater, but seem to enjoy the brackish waters. My archers, T. chatareus, were kept in freshwater by the vendor and arrived with fungus on the fins and they were dark with irritation. Being euryhaline, I immediately increased their holding tank water to SG 1.005 and then much slower, but still with haste, I continued to raise to 1.010. The fungus disappeared in three days, and the archers irritations subsided. Long story, but I believe if it needs a certain condition, so it should be kept. That being said, most archers swim freely between fresh, brackish & marine waters. Though, they most definitely wouldn't live their fullest in soft, acidic water.

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Thank you so much guys.
It's a good thing I asked.
Maybe I'll just pass on archers for now.
They're sweet looking fish thou.

I'll try to identify the Archer fish today after work. Then I'll know for sure.

Thanks again

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
OK stopped at my LFS during lunch.
Old timer there says tbl/ spoon per 5 gal.
is fine. He had one for 20 years and never had problems. But then, he's there to sell fish.

Here's a pic.
They're small

WinterAlloy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
North GA, USA
It looks like those are two different species. I think the first one is T. jaculatrix and the second is T. chatareus. These may exhibit some xanthism, but these aren't what I would consider the true golden archers. How much are they asking?

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
A twenty year older archer fish?!?!?!
That's what he told me.

It looks like those are two different species. I think the first one is T. jaculatrix and the second is T. chatareus. These may exhibit some xanthism, but these aren't what I would consider the true golden archers. How much are they asking?

They may not be golden. Just listed as Archers. I thought they looked golden.
They're asking 3 for $50

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store