Moving to the second tank - Cycling - Seeding

emreinstein

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Hello All,

I have just bought a second hand tank with sump system. 480L + 120 L [Sump]. I'm deciding to move my fishes in my existing tank as soon as possible to the new one. My existing tank is 200L and Eheim 2228 and a HOB filter is running with it. Although, i make regular water changes i should admit that i have high biological load. Besides, I have never had any health issues with my fishes. I have 9 G. brasiliensis adults (appr. 14-17cm long) and Heros Sp. Rotkeil juveniles. No Plant.

How can i make the cycling process faster? What should be the steps?

I'm thinking to put the HOB filter on the sump and putting a bit aquarium water from the existing tank for ammonia source? Will it work? Is there any faster or efficient ways?

Thanks for your help.

Nighttouch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2010
IL
Adding the filter is a good idea, but squeezing your dirty filter media is better. You'll be adding an ammonia source and BB.

You can also seed with substrate or decor, too.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'd move the fish straight into the uncycled 120g and transfer both filters from your existing tank onto there. it like that for a month, then gradually start removing media from the HOB and canister to let the bacteria in the sump build up to take the full bioload.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
You could take all of your seeded media and just place it in the sump, and transfer the fish. No?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store