Biggest Ropefish

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
What is the biggest ropefish/reedfish any of you have seen or owned? In most of what I have read it puts their max size as around 30-36 inches, but recently I was looking at fish book at B&N and a profile of it said under maximum length "15 inches, often incorrectly reported to reach 35 inches.."
So I am curious, what is the biggest ropefish you have personally ever seen? Also was it wild caught that size, or grown in an aquarium from a small size? Thanks!

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
We can't really be sure. Maybe some big ones do really exist. In home aquarium see senegalus, palmas palmas and palmas beutikoferi only maxing out 9-12". Rarely 13-16". However some wild caughts bring places in auctions are at 20-22". We do not get to see them as they are only place by supplier in auctions. Most end up in Japan. Their was a 16" mokelebhembe that I lost a bid back in 2009. In many home aquarium people cant hardly even grow a moke pass 9". So a 36" ropefish would be plausible.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well I guess I meant if I buy a few ropefish at, say, 6 inches, would expecting them to stop growing around 18 inches be reasonable guess? Its fine if they get bigger, they will be in a 160g first and then in a couple years a 300+ gallon, but I am just curious what I can expect for growth in captivity? Thanks for all the info!

King-eL

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Philippines and Canada
Nah I don't think it will get to that size. More like 12-13". Getting to 15" you have to invest more on food that are not frozen, no prawn or shrimps or other cold water fish as food. Only tropical fish as food. Lots of water changes too.

Growth in captivity from 6" will reach 12" in 2 years. At 12" expect growth rate at 1" per year. At 15" it may stop growing unless you do more effort.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
We can't really be sure. Maybe some big ones do really exist. In home aquarium see senegalus, palmas palmas and palmas beutikoferi only maxing out 9-12". Rarely 13-16". However some wild caughts bring places in auctions are at 20-22". We do not get to see them as they are only place by supplier in auctions. Most end up in Japan. Their was a 16" mokelebhembe that I lost a bid back in 2009. In many home aquarium people cant hardly even grow a moke pass 9". So a 36" ropefish would be plausible.
wow a 16" moke? Any other monstrous fish you have stories of? To the OP a 160 should be fine

Luigi mbu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2014
shaftesbury dorset england
I have a Senegales now at 11.5" I got him 13 months ago at 2". So they can grow quickly but I feed a lot of live guppys and mollies and cockles plus he eats nls pellets I do a 50% wc every 4 days. So I think a different species like delhezi or somthing could get 18".

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
I have had my rope for a long time and would say he is about 12 to 13 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store