How many fish have you lost since keeping fish?

weichen14

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2013
NYC
The title says it. I started keeping cichlids just over a year ago. I lost one and probably gonna lose another one tomorrow.

Everything was fine until last month when my 7in Texas cichlid died of duck lip. Now, my 7in gold severum has something. It was fine yesterday morning and at night it was sideways and doesnt move much. I don't think its going to make it even though its in quarantine. Im so used to seeing them when I wake up and come home from work. I feel so bummed out. Spending so much time on my tank and fish, and to see a fish or two died within a month, I feel like I dont have the energy and motivation anymore.

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
I think a lot of us have lost more fish than they remember. I know that I have lost quite a few, at first from rookie mistakes, then just trying to figure out what works well with the set ups that you have. Personally, I've lost way too many soft water species trying to get them to acclimate to my tap water which is pretty hard and alkaline. I am on a well and have a system wide water softener, but I think that it does something to the water that many fish just don't like. Eventually, I learned what fish work well in my water and that is what I now keep.

Don't get discouraged. Learn from your mistakes and keep going.

evojoey

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
Turnersville, South Jersey
When I first started I know I lost many. Some due to neglegence on my part, some to illness and other to unknown circumstances. Now, after 20+ years of keeping fish, if I lose one, I am doing some serious investigation. I've gotta find out what happened so it doesn't happen again. Don't give up. Everyone goes through this stuff in the beginning. Learn from it, and apply what you've learned to your next fish.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
My tank leak once and i couldn't put them in a bucket because it was 19 fish and bucket wasn't big enough. I came down stairs seeing them on there sides it was dredful

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Started keeping freshwater tropical’s around 1959. Of the many thousands raised or bought all are dead except the sixty or so in three current setups. All your fish are going to die. The best we can hope for is to keep them as healthy as possible as we learn. Disease, power outages, equipment failures and mistakes will happen.

My best advice is to not buy fish you cannot afford to lose. Also if losing fish makes you so despondent, then consider not keeping pets as they are all going to die at some point. Perhaps the best trade off is a notion that many of the fish will live longer and possibly under better conditions than in the wild. The trade off is that they are confined in a tiny fraction of the volume of water in a natural setting. The hobby has an arguably cruel side that must be accepted and dealt with. Good luck with your personal dilemma.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Fiskeeping before the internet was even thought of, with that said lost lost my share of fish until I started buying TFH magazines.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store