ICH questions

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I know there is a sticky thread for this but I didn't find anything on API liquid super ick cure. I have a 29g tank with what I believe is ick. 3 geos, 6 clown loaches, 2 baby p. bass and 1 roseline shark. there is live plants as well. the p. bass look like they have a fungas more than ick , but half the CL and 1 geo have white specks all over them. they sometimes rub there bodies in the sand (on there side or even upside down) I increased the temp to 86-88 and added some salt not much as I heard CL are sensitive to it. so I had a brand new bottle of API ick cure on hand and treated at 1/2 dose last night. so far what have I done wrong or right and what should I do different to prevent losing anyone. thanks.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I never use ich meds anymore. I just raise the temperature up to 88-90 and add in aquarium salt and leave it be for a couple weeks. From what I understand, ich can't reproduce at higher water temperatures so once it falls off the fish to reproduce, it ends the cycle. You have to continue for a couple weeks to make sure all the ich has fully gone through its cycle and has fallen off the fish, or else you will end up starting over from square one. I'm not sure if clown loaches can/cannot handle salt, so I would just stick to raising the temperature up slowly until it gets to withing the range previously stated. Maybe someone else can chime in about the salt. Also make sure to have lots of surface agitation in your water to add lots of oxygen.

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
Just use aquarium salt and raise the temp at 86-87. With 40-50% daily water change, you should see improvement. You might want to add an air stone if your tank has little surface movement. I had the same problem with my juvie Kelbs and clown loaches six months ago, and salt with high temperature resolve the issue.
The ich protozoan lives in a cycle and doesn't survive in water temperature above 86F. Aquarium salt just add an extra boost to fish immunity and fish respiratory system. Salt does not kill ich.
I have never used any med for ich. I've only lost 1 clown loach in my ich outbreak. Treat for at least a week more when symptoms disappear and make sure to vacuum gravel or sand.
Medicine can add a lot more stress to fish, can cost a lot and carbon media removal is necessary for meds use.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
Just did a quick google search and it seems cl can handle salt at low levels- 1 tbs per 10 gallons. In my opinion I would choose one or the other. You can still raise the temp slowly, as long as you make sure to add a lot of oxygen to the water. Meds also usually deplete oxygen levels in the water.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
I heard/read that clown loaches are sensitive to salt. is this true? or false? i already have the meds and i do not run carbon in my filters.

TheBroc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2014
CALIFORNIA
Just did a quick google search and it seems cl can handle salt at low levels- 1 tbs per 10 gallons. In my opinion I would choose one or the other. You can still raise the temp slowly, as long as you make sure to add a lot of oxygen to the water. Meds also usually deplete oxygen levels in the water.
temp is already at 88. turned heater down a little. i can add air stone i can take from another tank if needed but i have a hob filter agitating the water and have live plants , is this enough oxygen?

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
I would throw in the airstone as an extra precaution. 88 is fine. Any lower and your teetering on the line of whether or not the ich can thrive. Clown loaches are fine with salt 1 tbs per 10 gallons for the short term, but it is not recommended to keep them exposed to it for long periods of time. I would continue with your ich meds (since you started them already) and keep the temperature up, but like I said before, make sure you have enough oxygen. I would do the recommended treatment (half dosed like you did) and then leave the temperature up for a week after any symptoms of ich are showing.

Just keep an eye on your fish and if you notice them breathing heavy, it is a good sign that you probably need more oxygen in the water.

For future problems, I would just do the half dose of salt and raise the temp.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store