170 gallon acrylic tank build help

Argentum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Saudi Arabia
Hello everyone,

I am going to start building an acrylic aquarium and this is going to be my first DIY build. The purpose of the aquarium is to grow out Discus.

I am considering two dimensions the final decision will depend on the cost.

L*W*H
OPTION 1 : 180cm * 60 * 60 cm

OPTION 2 : 160 cm * 50 * 60 cm

As a start if I am going to euro brace the aquarium + cross brace it will I get with 10 mm thickness given the maximum available to me is the 12mm

The other question

If I am going to convert to glass what would be the minimum thickness for both builds?

The final question is how much clearance do I need to leave from the edges when drilling in both acrylic and glass?

Thanks for everyone in advance

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
I never built a glass tank so im not familar with cost etc... If you do a 120 gallon acryllic tank you would only need one acryllic sheet 1/2 inch think 48x96. Dimensions of tank will be 4 feet long by 2feet by 2 feet

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Argentum

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
Saudi Arabia
I never built a glass tank so im not familar with cost etc... If you do a 120 gallon acryllic tank you would only need one acryllic sheet 1/2 inch think 48x96. Dimensions of tank will be 4 feet long by 2feet by 2 feet

Will I still need 1/2 inch thick acrylic even if I Euro braced + metal top frame with cross braces ?

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
U dont need any metal bracing. The acryllic hood when welded on will brace top etc... In my opinion i would use half inch. If less than 2 feet tall than can go thinner

If doing a 100-120 gallon maybe buy used tank online

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
There is a interesting thing I looked at when I was working on the idea of building a large acrylic fish tank. It strangely might be cheaper to build a 475 gallon fish tank out of cell cast acrylic then to build a 120 gallon fish tank out of acrylic. The reason for this was I'm planning on building a large 200 plus gallon fish tank out of acrylic. To first test this idea I built a 30 gallon acrylic tank with a $130 US dollars in acrylic. I then asked several companies for quotes for the costs to build a 120 gallon to 180 gallon tank. The companies quoted me $500 for a 120 gallon tank. But oddly due to standard sizes of cell cast acrylic the costs to build a 475 gallon tank was only $1100. What this means is that pound for pound it would be cheaper to build a 475 gallon tank then to build a 120 gallon tank. On top of that you would save $6000 dollars to build a 475 gallon tank then to buy one from a company.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store