New tank set up for angel fish - setup questions

Fai

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
West Hills, CA
Hi All,

I am in the process of re-establishing my tank from scratch. Its a 55G tank. Here is what our vision is -
1. Substrate - White sand
2. Lightning - What light by day, blue light by night + Preferably LED lights
3. Filtration - Have a 55G + 90G pump currently running on an empty tank
4. Fish - Angel fish X 8 + Neon Tetras x 12 + Clown Loaches x 4 + Pleco x 2
5. Décor - 2 Drift woods + a few white stones + 4 or 5 live plants

Below are my questions to get this set up complete and I appreciate your suggestions -
1. Substrate - How many lbs should I use in a 55G tank? What I have looked online, the reference is mainly for salt water sand; is this safe for fresh water if its new and unused? What brand have you used in the past or familiar with?
2. Lightning - Any suggestions on the lightning? Name of lights - retailers
3. Filtration - Is this sufficient of the size and number of fish? I think so.
4. Fish - Is this too many a count?
5. Décor - Any suggestions on live plants?

Thanks for your response.

Fai

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Answers
1. Substrate -Buy pool filter sand. You can get it at Home Depot/Lowes or any pool supply store. You'll probably use close to 50lbs. It comes in 25lb bags for $8-$10.

2. Lighting - search on here for cheap LEDs. Ive heard Beamsworks are good. I use Marienland Double Brights, but only because I found them on sale. I like them, but I think you can get the same or better light for less money by going with another brand.

3. I didn't understand your filter description. I would use a hang on back type filter - cheap and easy. Angels don't like alot of current.

4. Too many & some might not be the best fit. If you get the angels small, 8 is fine but when they get to adults reduce your # to 5. I've never had problems with angels and neons/cardinals but alot of people say adult angels will eat neons. Something to keep an eye on. I'm not a pleco fan - they hide most of the time and produce tons of waste. Stick with bushynose plecs if you must, but I would scratch them off my list. Clown loaches will be fine. They get really large, but it takes years to do so.

5. Plants - youre going to want something hardy and low light if you buy LEDs. Anubias & java fern may be your best bet.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
IMO a light coloured substrate would be better tha pure white.

Lighting; Current Satellite+ would be my recommendation. Not the cheapest, but completely adjustable high quality units.

Fish; neons won't do well at the high temperatures the angels and loaches prefer. I'd suggest picking a different species of tetra, and if you're not planning an upgrade some time consider replacing teh clowns with something like corydoras or smaller loaches that won't outgrow your tank.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Satellite+ fixtures will make your fish look much better than the double bright or beamworks.

Under a sat+ I've had good success with Amazon swords, green tiger lotus, and onion plants. I'd bets jungle vallasneria and crypt would do good as well.

I second David R's advice on the clown loaches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store