Quick reply needed!

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I'm just about to order a 7x2.5x2 260 gal tank and I need to know if I should have a weir added to it sobI can use a sump. Is a sump the best/most cost effective way of filtration for a tank this size? Thanks, I've to call back with an answer.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Salt or fresh? Either way I love my sump on my 220 there's places for my heaters, if I did do salt (I have fresh) I could put my skimmer in there. My bio balls work great I have different sponges with my sump one set to clean out the big stuff the other to polish the water, when I have to do meds I can put my charcoal in my sump only draw back is I didn't have it set up right and when I lost power I lost half my water in my tank and almost had to sell the tank (wife was mad) but I say sump

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
It's freshwater, it'll be housing large cichlids most likely. Never had a sump before so wasn't sure what way to go. Would 2/3 2000 lph canisters do the job? Thanks.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Man, it's a good thing you stated you needed a quick reply. Otherwise people wouldn't respond for a couple of days.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
It´s a mater of preference.
I had saltwater for 20 years and got the taste for sumps. Nowadays I prefer to use sumps also in FW, specially in big tanks because you can customize it and adjust your filte rto the both your "taste" and specific needs of your fish.
I have a 10x4 with CA cichlids, asian Aro, etc and I had it made with sump and wouldn´t trade that for a few canisters.

So I would order the tank drilled and prepared for sump use.

Jhncf

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
It´s a mater of preference. I had saltwater for 20 years and got the taste for sumps. Nowadays I prefer to use sumps also in FW, specially in big tanks because you can customize it and adjust your filte rto the both your "taste" and specific needs of your fish. I have a 10x4 with CA cichlids, asian Aro, etc and I had it made with sump and wouldn´t trade that for a few canisters. So I would order the tank drilled and prepared for sump use.
Thanks, is it possible to have a weir added and have a tank drilled later or must it be done while it's being built? I've just heard a few horror stories about people having sumps and the water being emptied all over the floor during a power cut so that had put me off a bit.

Joao M

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2010
Portugal
It´s possible to drill later, but it´s much much easier to drill while being built.
You never have overflows during power cuts if you calculate properly the volume of the sump and the maximum you may fill it while running.
It´s very easy: 1st you fill the tank and let the water flow to the sump until it is also filled (giving 2" margin). 2nd you start the return pump and see what is the level of water in the sump with the system running. 3rd - mark the sump water level (with tape or a good marker).
As long as you don´t have water higher than that mark when the system is "on" you´ll never have an overflow.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
if you set it up right, there's little to no risk of flood. when my power goes out, the tank drains to the sump and stops 1.5" from the top.
with dual drains you all but eliminate any possibility of overflowing the tank if you run well within your drains flow rate.
with good design you can drop your risk of flooding from the sump or tank to virtually zero.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Mine overflowed because my return line from the sump to the tank back flowed when the power went out. Now I have the same set up I just drilled a tiny hole that when power is cut breaks the suction

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store